Cooling a TERRARIUM

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to get this reallllyyyyyy cool species of gecko for a LONG time, but there is one large issue that has been the BANE of my gecko keeping hobby, besides reefing of course, and that is cooling. I live in Southern CA and gets hot. like almost arizona hot. this year it hit like 110 for peaks of summer. and I cannot afford to run the AC ALL DAY to keep temps at about 72. I know for aquariums they have chillers. But what about terrariums? I wont have water features in it. just a mister for humidity. I need the temps to stay at about 72-74 CONSISTENTLY. I am at a loss here.... idk what I could do. If anyone here knows how to cool down a terrarium or just a small space of a room, PLEASE let me know. I really really really want one of these geckos. Here is a pic of one if anyone is interested.

attachment.php
attachment.php

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how most in the trade / hobby do it. But you could use a water chiller and build a manifold to set in the bottom of the tank, or behind a back wall. You could even use copper pipe in a biotope like that.

klondike4001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Chaotic

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, someone here who knows how difficult these geckos can be! The ones I pictured are actually a newer species known as Uroplatus finiavana, similar in appearance, but i THINK, not for sure though, they are tolerant of temps slightly higher than Phants. My house stays at like a constant 77-78, and then about low 80's in the peak of summer. I only need like a 5-8 degree drop for OPTIMAL survival temps. I love these guys, but god dang are they fragile. For the water feature, would a waterfall work? like a zoo med one?

klondike4001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, someone here who knows how difficult these geckos can be! The ones I pictured are actually a newer species known as Uroplatus finiavana, similar in appearance, but i THINK, not for sure though, they are tolerant of temps slightly higher than Phants. My house stays at like a constant 77-78, and then about low 80's in the peak of summer. I only need like a 5-8 degree drop for OPTIMAL survival temps. I love these guys, but god dang are they fragile. For the water feature, would a waterfall work? like a zoo med one?

I'd recommend a VERY shallow feature in the tank with an external reservoir you can cool and pump back in. no more than a 1/2" deep, very prone to drowning in deeper water. They redescribed the species a few years back, if I'm not mistaken it has to do with either tail lengths, widths, and locale. Good luck, hit me up for questions, I had over 80 Uroplatus at some points in the last 10 years.

OP
OP
Chaotic

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what about something like this? The water feature is underneath the substrate. so no drowning issues, but how would I cool it? as in, how exactly does those mini water coolers work? would they fit into this kind of setup?

klondike4001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, something along these lines!

The reason I recommend the external reservoir is:
A. You'll have to drill to begin with for the chiller
B. Cleaning the water in the way they made the video will be a nightmare.

So just to make you life a ton easier (I know what I'm talking about here), drill an inlet and outlet and you'll be much happier in the long term.

OP
OP
Chaotic

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imma run down to lllreptile some time this week and pick up supplies for the waterfall. Thanks so much for the tips! if you have any other tips for keeping these guys, PLEASE let me know!

klondike4001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imma run down to lllreptile some time this week and pick up supplies for the waterfall. Thanks so much for the tips! if you have any other tips for keeping these guys, PLEASE let me know!
You have no idea how lucky you are to live that close to a quality reptile store

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should check around on the dart frog boards - but from what I've read the physics of trying to cool an enclosure with a chilled small water feature don't really pan out. Plus you would need a vent for the chiller. I would instead get a one room AC unit and just keep that room at temp.

OP
OP
Chaotic

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do that, but problem is the only room available atm also has other animals in it that like slightly higher temps, and also its my bedroom lol. I would rather have the encloser cold then the room if possible.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into auto misting systems also. ProProducts make a good one and so does Mist King. Whenever my misters went on for my ETBs and GTPs it always dropped the temp a few degrees.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert but I am curious if this will work:
In dry parts of the world apartment coolers work by seeping water through a porous substance , such as hay or jute rug and then blowing air through it. The accelerated evaporation brings down the temperature. It increases humidity as a side effect. With modern electronics it is possible to measure and control each aspect of this. I wonder how hard it will be build reptile tank controller that can control the water flow through the porous material along side fan speed based on tank temperature and humidity
No idea how effective or viable this will be, but this sounds like a common challenge for almost all reptile pets

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, how do you live with a 77 degree home?! I can't do well with anything over 69 lol

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a small window A/C unit and use a hose like a dryer vent hose to direct air to the terrarium.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back