Cooling a TERRARIUM

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert but I am curious if this will work:
In dry parts of the world apartment coolers work by seeping water through a porous substance , such as hay or jute rug and then blowing air through it. The accelerated evaporation brings down the temperature. It increases humidity as a side effect. With modern electronics it is possible to measure and control each aspect of this. I wonder how hard it will be build reptile tank controller that can control the water flow through the porous material along side fan speed based on tank temperature and humidity
No idea how effective or viable this will be, but this sounds like a common challenge for almost all reptile pets

Sweet Idea - I dig it; there are some DIY air conditioners out there on youtube that use evaporation. Implementing controllers sounds expensive(OP says expense to run the ac is the problem). I think the only answer that is cost effective is to simply hit that thermostat and pay a little extra in the hot months. Small AC units and even Chillers for our aquariums are costly to run(+capital investment). Something DIY would be awesome, but I'd be afraid of it failing(or being inconsistent) and killing the critter. Just turn down the thermostat bud!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a temperature controlled plug to heat my monitor enclosure using a standard portable heater. I also plugged a humidifier into the same plug which allowed that to run anytime the heater kicked on. Not sure if something like that would work with cooling?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back