Cooling Fans

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a few DIY cooling fans using basic computer fans. Just curious if any one on here has done one themselves and what parts they used.

I am looking to do 3 on to one plug if possible! Drop me some pictures and parts list!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant find a picture but used computer fans, a black face plate for a tv cabinet use and used rubber spacers i had lying around to create a little bit of a gap from the wall. Blows over the top of my aquarium if gets too hot

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump or display was another question. This is an in wall tank but I do prefer to keep a screen over top of it so I was leaving towards sump.

How are you guys wiring them to 110v? Is it as simple as take a 110 plug in cut it and wire it together?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked usb powered ones and plugged them into an outlet on my power bar. Was cheaper than buying a breakout box for me as i had a spare outlet.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is an inwall and you want cooling. I would mount a small office fan and the wall and just plug it in.

Blowing down on the tank has the same effect as blowing across it.

I cool my entire 400 gallon system down with a little turbo fan.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is an inwall and you want cooling. I would mount a small office fan and the wall and just plug it in.

Blowing down on the tank has the same effect as blowing across it.

I cool my entire 400 gallon system down with a little turbo fan.

I think I am going to do this I think I will try it on my sump because the tank is covered. (I have a record locally for carpet surfing fish)

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Infinity AC” fans from amazon are super cheap, look great, and work well.

This, I use them to cool my t5s which are in a canopy. I decided to get a 4th t5 ballast so I just got a 3rd fan. Seem to work great.

20191013_090736.jpg 20190929_102439.jpg

Bells>Waimea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack, but I am doing the same thing with a 80mm computer fan from amazon on a fusion 20. I want it to be mounted cleanly blowing down on the water, not across.

Can't find a goose neck clamp on amazon, and really not sure how to mount this.

What's the best way to mount cleanly blowing on the display?

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump or display was another question. This is an in wall tank but I do prefer to keep a screen over top of it so I was leaving towards sump.

How are you guys wiring them to 110v? Is it as simple as take a 110 plug in cut it and wire it together?

Most computer fans are 12v but low amperage i have 2 fans with their tips cut off then the cables going to a12v plug so that i can connect and disconnect it from the 12v power supply if needed during maintenance.

Not to hijack, but I am doing the same thing with a 80mm computer fan from amazon on a fusion 20. I want it to be mounted cleanly blowing down on the water, not across.

Can't find a goose neck clamp on amazon, and really not sure how to mount this.

What's the best way to mount cleanly blowing on the display?

As to this i have a sheet of acrylic with two holes cut out of it to allow them to blow straight down as well as mounting holes drilled through to allow for stainless steel bolts to pass through to keep the fans from shifting out of position.

NoLobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evaporative cooling is the main mechanism for fan based cooling on a tank. It works by replacing saturated air over the tank with "dry" air that promotes evaporation which takes heat from the water. You mainly want to ensure you have airflow over as much surface area of the water as possible to promote heat loss. You don't really need to blast the surface with air though, there is a diminishing return where more flow doesn't change the evap rate.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back