Cooling

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or frozen water bottles? I'm betting one 16 oz bottle will drop it 1+ degrees.
Sry, math nerd alert incoming :cool:

Assuming the bottle is at 0 degree F, that means its an 80 degree differential. A 1 gallon bottle would mean 1/30th of the combined 30G volume. So, a 1 gallon ice at 0 degrees will reduce the temperature by 80/30 = 2 2/3 degrees. 16 oz is 1/8 of a gallon, meaning a 16 oz bottle, assuming 100% heat transfer, will reduce the tank by only 2/3 of a degree, disregarding the impact of any other heat source.

This is an approximation. Im not a physist and not completely considering the laws of thermodynamics

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help. My tank is a 29 gallon saltwater. It is at 80.7 degrees. Is a chiller worth the money?
At that temp you are fine.
My 120 runs 79-82 with no issues.
A fan as suggested is a good way to reduce temps also.
What is your desired temp?

OP
OP
JEDIHOGG77

JEDIHOGG77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a fan blowing across the top of the water surface yet?
I have a glass top to keep my cats from jumping on top or inside. A fan would not do a whole lot I think.

Attachments

• 1E786EB0-1356-4506-8BC8-C365DE700321.jpeg
    1E786EB0-1356-4506-8BC8-C365DE700321.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 18

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sry, math nerd alert incoming :cool:

Assuming the bottle is at 0 degree F, that means its an 80 degree differential. A 1 gallon bottle would mean 1/30th of the combined 30G volume. So, a 1 gallon ice at 0 degrees will reduce the temperature by 80/30 = 2 2/3 degrees. 16 oz is 1/8 of a gallon, meaning a 16 oz bottle, assuming 100% heat transfer, will reduce the tank by only 2/3 of a degree, disregarding the impact of any other heat source.

This is an approximation. Im not a physist and not completely considering the laws of thermodynamics
If the bottle contained antifreeze at 0, you'd be correct, but there is a phase change which is not included in your calculations.

OP
OP
JEDIHOGG77

JEDIHOGG77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that temp you are fine.
My 120 runs 79-82 with no issues.
A fan as suggested is a good way to reduce temps also.
What is your desired temp?
Not sure. This is my first saltwater tank. I have a freshwater tank that’s the same size and it’s 81 and my fish are great. I’ve only lost 4 fish since I started it in March.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help. My tank is a 29 gallon saltwater. It is at 80.7 degrees. Is a chiller worth the money?

see where you are saying fan and changing flow across surface aren't options. Not yet mentioned
- reducing temperature of room where chiller located
----- window A/C unit costs less than tank chiller and is multi-functional
---------- both room and tank are cooler
- canopy top across tank top instead of solid glass tank top
- heavy duty screen across tank top instead of solid glass tank top
----- something supporting cat weight
----------- aluminum gutter mesh from home improvement store

Those fan and water bottle suggestions are definitely less costly options to reduce temperature, but yes chillers work. IF you decide to go with chiller, you want to size chiller for your tank (manufacturers website has calculator), but at 29g likely even small chiller would work for you. I use a 1/4HP Artica for my 180g - I'm in Texas and its hot...

I think as long as you stay away from cold loving fish (deeper waters usually) you may be fine as you are just on high side of normal.

Attachments

• Water Parameters Chart from Bulk Reef Supply.jpeg
    Water Parameters Chart from Bulk Reef Supply.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
JEDIHOGG77

JEDIHOGG77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see where you are saying fan and changing flow across surface aren't options. Not yet mentioned
- reducing temperature of room where chiller located
----- window A/C unit costs less than tank chiller and is multi-functional
---------- both room and tank are cooler
- canopy top across tank top instead of solid glass tank top
- heavy duty screen across tank top instead of solid glass tank top
----- something supporting cat weight
----------- aluminum gutter mesh from home improvement store

Those fan and water bottle suggestions are definitely less costly options to reduce temperature, but yes chillers work. IF you decide to go with chiller, you want to size chiller for your tank (manufacturers website has calculator), but at 29g likely even small chiller would work for you. I use a 1/4HP Artica for my 180g - I'm in Texas and its hot...

I think as long as you stay away from cold loving fish (deeper waters usually) you may be fine as you are just on high side of normal.
I’m thinking about using a hang on the back filter that I have lying around and modify that with something to use as cooler.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make smaller fans that hook into the side and direct air under the glass. Should try it. Aquarium Chillers, Fish Tank Fan Aquarium Water Cooling Fan USB Charge 5V, 2 Wind Speed Adjustable for Mini Fish Tank with a Temperature Measurement Sticker

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the bottle contained antifreeze at 0, you'd be correct, but there is a phase change which is not included in your calculations.
I must have fallen asleep that one day 25 years ago when they talked about phase change in High School lol.;Facepalm

Just googled latent heat of Ice - about 80Cal per gram. So... if the math is right (and boy do I wish we used the metric system now...) 16 oz of ice has latent heat of approx 36K Cal. (470 ml x 80). 29G is approx 110L, so we are looking at a 1/3 C temperature decrease from phase change alone, or a little less than 2/3 F. Bringing the total to 1+ F decrease.

Right?

So....I stand corrected. :oops:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back