Coopersafe starting dosage

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see tons of Coppersafe dosage recommendations backed with evidence and all that. But I am confused at the starting off dosage?

Should I put the fish in the tank with 0 copper? Then add copper in water separately and add it slowly?

Only asking because I have my HT set up and it is currently reading .63ppm. So Wondering if that's low enough to put them in now and slowly raise it over the next 5-7 days to 1.5-2.0ppm?

This is a HT for ich.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see tons of Coppersafe dosage recommendations backed with evidence and all that. But I am confused at the starting off dosage?

Should I put the fish in the tank with 0 copper? Then add copper in water separately and add it slowly?

Only asking because I have my HT set up and it is currently reading .63ppm. So Wondering if that's low enough to put them in now and slowly raise it over the next 5-7 days to 1.5-2.0ppm?

This is a HT for ich.
Coppersafe at a full dose is around 2.5 ppm. It can be safely raised to full dose in a day as long as you have an accurate measuring device like the Hanna HR tester.
Raising copper slowly is one of those bits of bad advice that just won’t go away. It stems from old school copper sulfate/citric acid formulas where we needed to raise the copper over 48 hours to avoid issues with a few sensitive species. Today’s amine-based copper products don’t need that.
The risk with raising copper slowly is that it gives diseases a chance to gain the upper hand, and then curing the fish becomes much more difficult.

Jay

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe at a full dose is around 2.5 ppm. It can be safely raised to full dose in a day as long as you have an accurate measuring device like the Hanna HR tester.
Raising copper slowly is one of those bits of bad advice that just won’t go away. It stems from old school copper sulfate/citric acid formulas where we needed to raise the copper over 48 hours to avoid issues with a few sensitive species. Today’s amine-based copper products don’t need that.
The risk with raising copper slowly is that it gives diseases a chance to gain the upper hand, and then curing the fish becomes much more difficult.

Jay
okay cool. Coopersafe still needs to be between 1.5-2.0ppm?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay cool. Coopersafe still needs to be between 1.5-2.0ppm?
What test kit are you using? A full coppersafe dose will read 2.5 on a Hanna probe.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hanna and API.
The API kit just doesn't work well, I find it tough to read the colors without using a colorimeter. The Hanna will give more accurate results.

Jay

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The API kit just doesn't work well, I find it tough to read the colors without using a colorimeter. The Hanna will give more accurate results.

Jay
Exactly why I bought a Hanna lol. The powder is a little hard to get into the vile though.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Can I feed my tang green nori in the hospital tank? Wasn't sure how well that would do with annomia?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I feed my tang green nori in the hospital tank? Wasn't sure how well that would do with annomia?

As long as you don't let it stagnate in the tank uneaten, it will actually cause less of an ammonia problem than will higher protein foods.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back