Copapods

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve started a refugium in my sump and I’m curious when I can start seeding it with copapods and any advice on the best kind to start with and other helpful advice

germo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae barn has been the best for me in that area. They have start up kits as well.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would do a blend of pods like poseidons feast from algae barn, or pod your reef, or many well known members on here sell pods.

Phyto goes a long way to feed and help get those pods established as well.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or one like this that doesn't include the macro.

I personally do not like algae barns phyto. While it works, it's much less dense(I've gotten some over the years that was almost water, very faint green). Someone on here sells a blend of LIVE phyto for way cheaper then algae barns sells it for, and it's loads better( @Eldredge ).

germo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or one like this that doesn't include the macro.

I personally do not like algae barns phyto. While it works, it's much less dense(I've gotten some over the years that was almost water, very faint green). Someone on here sells a blend of LIVE phyto for way cheaper then algae barns sells it for, and it's loads better( @Eldredge ).
This person that has this phyto may be something I’m interested in learning about myself. I just recently started using it and it has made a huge difference and if there is some better out there I would love to know where to get my hands on it. Lol

Last edited:

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I've always like algaebarn, used them for many years, but after purchasing some live phyto by @Eldredge I will never suggest anyone buy it from algaebarn again.

Check his thread out. I have never seen a single complaint whether it be shipping, price, or his CS.

Many other cheaper places to buy pods from too if you have a look through the for sale section on here.

germo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I've always like algaebarn, used them for many years, but after purchasing some live phyto by @Eldredge I will never suggest anyone buy it from algaebarn again.

Check his thread out. I have never seen a single complaint whether it be shipping, price, or his CS.

Many other cheaper places to buy pods from too if you have a look through the for sale section on here.
Thanks greatly

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I find a product I fully believe in, I trumpet it from the top of the hills. One of the reasons I suggested algaebarn. Great company, with a great product(pods). But some of their "other" stuff is a little bit undesirable.

And your very much welcome.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would do a blend of pods like poseidons feast from algae barn, or pod your reef, or many well known members on here sell pods.

Phyto goes a long way to feed and help get those pods established as well.
I added the chaeto last week and I have a good amount of smaller rock I can add to the refugium area, my tank has been up and running a few months now is it too early to start adding pods.?

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae barn has been the best for me in that area. They have start up kits as well.
I looked at what algae barn offers, any suggestions on which pod combo to start with or which is the hardiest, ultimately I’m wanting to get a mandarin and I’m not sure if certain pods are better then others

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a big Algae Barn guy, but my last order got delayed, phyto didn't look too good and 5280 pods were looking a little weak.
They emailed me saying they are doing a new grow out system or something like that. The system will be up and running within 2 weeks. Gave me a 10% code for my next order. After my order has been delayed twice ( with the same excuse ) I moved on.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a big Algae Barn guy, but my last order got delayed, phyto didn't look too good and 5280 pods were looking a little weak.
They emailed me saying they are doing a new grow out system or something like that. The system will be up and running within 2 weeks. Gave me a 10% code for my next order. After my order has been delayed twice ( with the same excuse ) I moved on.
My last order many, many months ago(might even have been a couple years ago?) was pretty much the same. I do know it is not the same owners as it was years ago.

I have moved on and buy pods from fellow reefers(https://jaysreefbugs.company.site/), and some major phyto from @Eldredge.

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember few years ago when I placed an order around noon eastern time it would ship the same day and got it the next day. I miss those days.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve started a refugium in my sump and I’m curious when I can start seeding it with copapods and any advice on the best kind to start with and other helpful advice
You can seed once the aquarium is cycled, but some species might do better with a ticker refugium first. Regardless, what fish are you getting? Free swimming copepods aren't as good for say, sand sifting gobies, as ones that spend more time on the substrate

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my experience through out the hobby . Smaller Local Reefers ( generalized term ) seem to have the some of the best quality products available on the market . With that said I would definitely vouch for Reed Maricultre and it's sister company Reef nutrition they have Top notch products as well if your looking for a bigger company to buy from .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back