Copepod breeding help

Ernst Haeckel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spotted mandarin who has been happily eating frozen food for a while now, but I've always wanted her to have live food as well. I have a 32 gallon tank, which cannot sustain a pod population, so I starting trying to raise tigger pods. It has been tough, I did everything I was supposed to. Im growing plenty of phyto, and feeding the pods regularly. I have been at this for 2 months, an my population seems stagnant. I have yet to feed any to my tank because I have yet to see the population grow, they seem to be reproducing, but at a very slow rate. I've read that Tigger brand pods are actually the toughest to breed (cuz they want you to buy more, not raise them). Does anyone know if this is true? I am thinking this is why I am unsuccessful in raising them. Is there a species out there anyone would recommend I try raising? Or maybe there's something else I'm doing wrong? Thanks!!!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easy way to raise pods id a 10gallon tank and air stone, with some rock. Sides covered in film and other algae. Get these pods

Feed phyto and the tank will be covered in no time

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wanted to share this article with you because I think it might be helpful to what you are asking. One reason larval pods are better for seeding is the fact that they have longer to live, which typically means more opportunity to generate brood. We do sell Tigriopus copepods individually as well as our blends like the 5280 pods (Tigriopus, Tisbe, and Apocyclops) which could give you a good variety to feed your tank inhabitants :)

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My set up is below, I have 3 small tanks which I purchased use for $5 each, but you can use tupperware from the dollarstore. Just water, an airline, and phytoplankton, and harvest in 3 or 4 weeks, clean the tank and start again. No heater, rocks, filter, or light is required. Its super easy, the tanks are for tiggers, tisbe's, and apocyclops, none of them is tougher then others.

1632224143401.png

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider this: Don’t be so sure your pods aren’t reproducing. They may only occupy space on only your rock not your glass where you can see them. I have come to “blindly” believe that my pods out produce the crazy appetites of my two mandarins and CBB. These three fish are chubs. That’s my evidence. Good luck.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spotted mandarin who has been happily eating frozen food for a while now, but I've always wanted her to have live food as well. I have a 32 gallon tank, which cannot sustain a pod population, so I starting trying to raise tigger pods. It has been tough, I did everything I was supposed to. Im growing plenty of phyto, and feeding the pods regularly. I have been at this for 2 months, an my population seems stagnant. I have yet to feed any to my tank because I have yet to see the population grow, they seem to be reproducing, but at a very slow rate. I've read that Tigger brand pods are actually the toughest to breed (cuz they want you to buy more, not raise them). Does anyone know if this is true? I am thinking this is why I am unsuccessful in raising them. Is there a species out there anyone would recommend I try raising? Or maybe there's something else I'm doing wrong? Thanks!!!
Ime tig pods are the easiest to breed and I recommend them. It's also easier to see them...

Maybe the problem is your food? Alot of hobby phyto cultures get contaminated with cyano. Just because the water is green doesn't mean it's phyto. Copepods will actually grow on cyano as sole food source but not as well.

You don't need to use live phyto, plenty of people use powdered foods successfully. You do need to be careful about overfeeding and having ammonia spike. Actually that's another possibility, have you tested ammonia/nitrate/phos? Maybe you're using too much f/2.

OP
OP
Ernst Haeckel

Ernst Haeckel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the recommendations!!! I currently have my culture in a 5 gallon bucket. I did order the mixed variety copepods and I'm going to set them up in a separate 5 gal tank.

In response to the last comment, I think I am using to much F2, my nitrates and phosphates were very high, so I did a big water change. Got a good look at my total population, its hard to tell if I have more pods than I started with but they're all much bigger, so maybe with a little TLC I can get a population boom.

The banana method looks interesting, I don't have the sunlight for that, but I might try it with a growlight just to see what happens.

Any specific powdered foods you can recommend? Would reef roids work?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the recommendations!!! I currently have my culture in a 5 gallon bucket. I did order the mixed variety copepods and I'm going to set them up in a separate 5 gal tank.

In response to the last comment, I think I am using to much F2, my nitrates and phosphates were very high, so I did a big water change. Got a good look at my total population, its hard to tell if I have more pods than I started with but they're all much bigger, so maybe with a little TLC I can get a population boom.

The banana method looks interesting, I don't have the sunlight for that, but I might try it with a growlight just to see what happens.

Any specific powdered foods you can recommend? Would reef roids work?
I use Spirulina powder and have recently started storing it into very hot water to help dissolve it better letting it cool before adding to the culture. Some also add powdered flake foods

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I keep trying to urge people to culture Tigger pods outside. A key part of atolls method it sounds like is that it is outside. Banana peel or no banana peel if you keep tigger pods outside they WILL produce. If you have super hot temps in the summer you may have to place the culture in the shade.

Best success for me has been saltwater in a bucket with a rock for filtration and just put in pods.

That’s it. I run 4 three gallon buckets because the cultures all peak at different times. If you do t live by the sea make sure you add a small quantity of tank water for algae. If you do live by the sea algae will find it’s way.

i often find people struggle to keep these indoors. Wind Bugs sticks and leaves are all helpful for the culture. Remember that these are tidepool animals from very high pools. They handle temp and salt swings and rain very well.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I keep trying to urge people to culture Tigger pods outside. A key part of atolls method it sounds like is that it is outside. Banana peel or no banana peel if you keep tigger pods outside they WILL produce. If you have super hot temps in the summer you may have to place the culture in the shade.

Best success for me has been saltwater in a bucket with a rock for filtration and just put in pods.

That’s it. I run 4 three gallon buckets because the cultures all peak at different times. If you do t live by the sea make sure you add a small quantity of tank water for algae. If you do live by the sea algae will find it’s way.

i often find people struggle to keep these indoors. Wind Bugs sticks and leaves are all helpful for the culture. Remember that these are tidepool animals from very high pools. They handle temp and salt swings and rain very well.
Yep I culture my pods outside here in the UK. I also add spirulina to my cultures. In winter I culture brine shrimp.

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I don't have the option of doing it outside. Stupid nosy neighbors will call on me for having "stagnant" water and I'll get fined. Can I just do a bucket in my closet fishroom and have success??

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back