copepod culture

Reefen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start a copepod culture, can I grow several species together, or just stick to one species?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a culture you’ll eventually end up with one species that outcompetes the others.

If you want multiple species best to buy them separately and then culture separately. Note - the additional equipment to do this is minimal- just need another container and a splitter+valve for the air line.

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you will need to culture them separately from one another. Each culture should have their own set of sives etc to minimize risk of contamination with another species.

Why is that? I literally have a bottle of your 7 species mix in a container attempting my first culture right now. I believe you I’m just curious why.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is that? I literally have a bottle of your 7 species mix in a container attempting my first culture right now. I believe you I’m just curious why.
They out compete each other . I have to culture all them copepods separate then hand sive them into a bottle to make a finish product

a007grif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can culture them together but like others have said, one will out compete and eventually you end up with 1 major species. I have been doing both for years, i have some single species containers and some that got contaminated years ago and still going strong with more than 1 species.

reeferJMX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently attempted this with Algaebarn's Galaxy Pods (had 4 jars worth). Received it end of February 2023. Bought two Ikea jars, and a dual airline pump. Started feeding OceanMagik 5 ml each day. At this point, I can barely see pods, and both have became a phyto only jar :downcast-face-with-sweat:. Expensive fail for me if that is the case.

How long should I see one type of pod on the glass jar if it is ready to be harvested? And I have stopped adding OceanMagik for now, as I don't see the saltwater clear up.

Attachments

• copepods_culture.jpg
    copepods_culture.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 42
  • copepods_culture_pods.jpg
    copepods_culture_pods.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 33

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I have asked this in mutiple channels and I have not yet gotten any documentation that says yes or no.

Most are anecdotal. I also cannot find any paper regarding competition between the species if food is of abundance.

Edit:
- information regarding the common copepods that we culture in the hobby
- with abudance of available planktonic food

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back