Copepod food alternatives

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in copepods for biodiversity and I understand that to obtain/maintain a healthy supply of them phytoplankton is needed.. the live phytoplankton seems expensive and has a short shelf life. While I don't have fish that should target the copepods too often, are there good alternative products to the live phytoplankton?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in copepods for biodiversity and I understand that to obtain/maintain a healthy supply of them phytoplankton is needed.. the live phytoplankton seems expensive and has a short shelf life. While I don't have fish that should target the copepods too often, are there good alternative products to the live phytoplankton

Copepods also eat dead phytoplankton. DFWMAS just had Chad Clayton from Reef Nutrition as zoom guest speaker, and he and many are very knowledgeable. I learned that the amphipods in my system (that fish also eat) also eat copepods. Algaebarn has a nice link if you were interested in this tangent: https://www.algaebarn.com/blog/copepods/amphipods-copepods-peacefully-coexist/

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods also eat dead phytoplankton. DFWMAS just had Chad Clayton from Reef Nutrition as zoom guest speaker, and he and many are very knowledgeable. I learned that the amphipods in my system (that fish also eat) also eat copepods. Algaebarn has a nice link if you were interested in this tangent: https://www.algaebarn.com/blog/copepods/amphipods-copepods-peacefully-coexist/
Appreciate the information, which dead phytoplankton product would you recommend?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the information, which dead phytoplankton product would you recommend?
have no recommendations for dead phyto - sorry. I have just stopped worrying if live phyto dies before I use it all.

My favorite live phyto is Phyto Feast by Reef Nutrition that comes in 6oz bottle. It seems thicker/more than other brands. LFS carry it, though particular ones may carry one brand and another LFS carry another brand - its nice to have options! I prefer LFS brands over online brands, but LFS can be sold out (calling around to other local fish stores can usually find what I want so I don't have to go online ordering)

Note AlgaeBarn says once phyto dies it can breakdown into nitrates & phosphates. Reference this link, most of the way down: https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/live-foods/phytoplankton/oceanmagik-live-phytoplankton/

OceanMagik I like their bottle/dispensing more than I like actual product. Phyto Feast bottle 'sneezes/spritz' product when I close cap, but I like actual product most because lot thicker so I can use less, so I try to remember to snap top while pointing into sink to reduce cleanup mess (got in face one day...).

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a total fanboy of live phytofeast from reef nutrition. However the sell a dead version of the same thing. I have heard great things about it. I have used it when I have run out of live phyto. But I like the idea of live phyto consuming nitrates and phosphates in the tank while it is waiting to be consumed. I like any cleanup crew member that breeds quickly and becomes part of the food chain (that extends to pods too).

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods will feed off algae also. I never really feed phyto to my system

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back