Copepod jar mistake

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, I thought I'd put some siporax in my 2g pod jar (full of apex and tisbe pods) to help with the ammonia. Well, bad idea. I just opened the jar and smelled the unmistakable stench of hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell). The siporax went supernova (anoxic) on me and turned black. The low oxygen content (1-2 bubbles/second) created the hydrogen sulfide. I thought I should add some sort of nitrifying bacteria to the pod jar so ammonia would be kept in check. Does anyone add anything to their jar to harbor nitrifying bacteria? Or is a water change every 2-3 weeks sufficient enough to keep ammonia away? Funny thing is the pods were absolutely exploding and I wonder if they even like the hydrogen sulfide.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure on why your adding siporax you need to add phyto. Live phyto or seachem phyto. i use seachem phyto haven’t change the water in my pod bucket in a month apart from top offs the cultivation is still going strong I use nothing to combat ammonia ect

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added siporax to combat ammonia but I probably don't need it. I've been adding phyto to the jar and a little bit of Reef-Roids as well.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No defo don’t need any ammonia control I’d just feed the phyto keep your roids for the corals. Happy reefing :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 104 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 54 29.8%
Back