Copepods for Wrasse and Hawkfish?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SaraJames
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SaraJames

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2026
Messages
79
Reaction score
54
Location
Wilmington
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am new to this and don't understand half of your acronyms. LOL You all should really build a thread for that.

I am hoping to feed my wrasse and hawkfish with copepods? I currently have a 75 gallon reef tank. Last night I turned everything off and put in a 6-8oz bottle of room temperature Tigger (something) hoping that they would settle and hang on. But when I turned the lights back on it was like they had never even been there?

How much do I need to add to the tank to keep them populated for a while? I do have a hang on the side refugium I could use to grow them with cheato (I think). I just don't want to mess up my water with phytoplankton and all that food they need?
 
Sara, forget about the Copepods. You would need tens of thousands per day to sustain those 2 fish and the expense will be enormous. They will feed on Pods when they find them, but prepared food should be the primary. The Pods you added are crawlers and will hide in rock and Algae so they would be gone in the morning.
 
Sara, forget about the Copepods. You would need tens of thousands per day to sustain those 2 fish and the expense will be enormous. They will feed on Pods when they find them, but prepared food should be the primary. The Pods you added are crawlers and will hide in rock and Algae so they would be gone in the morning.
What should I do instead?

I currently feed frozen brine shrimp, flakes, pellets, and oyster feast for the corals. I just added thawed shrimp for the lionfish and dried mysis shrimp for the anemone.
 
There are alot of good options for food. I prefer frozen and my own homemade but TDO is an excellent choice also. I also add amphipods over copepods. They are alot bigger.
 
Put pellets in for your fish.(lionfish will probably need the shrimp still ) If the other fish eat pellets your all set. Dont overthink it. You can feed frozen once or twice a week if ya want
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new