Copepods questions from a beginner

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am very new to this hobby and just got my fluval evo 13.5g cycled. I have been reading about copepods and am interested in them to help skip or dampen the ugly stage. I've read articles and watched a few youtube videos but the information all seems very advanced and I cant seem to find a really basic beginner guide. I had a few questions I hoped could be answered.

1) Do I need to also buy phytoplankton as well? If so how frequently do I add phytoplankton?

2) The LFS near me has many different bottles (Tigger pods, Apex Pods, Pac Pods, Arcti pods) and I have no clue which I should get

Thanks for the help!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The different pods at the lfs are for the sake of diversity, and probably different sizes for different sized fish.
If you started with live rock and sand, there is a good chance some already hitchhiked in. Pods really won’t do much to skip uglies or help with cycling, but are good for cleanup and natural fish food.
I don’t add phytoplankton to my reef and have a thriving population of amphipods, copepods, and mysis shrimp.

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an expert and I don't know if there is a "right" answer for you. I would recommend a mix of copepods with the smaller (apex, I think) being where I would start. You don't NEED phytoplankton, but it will probably help your copepods thrive. I have a 75L tank and I add ~2ml of phytofeast a day.

GeorgeH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The different pods at the lfs are for the sake of diversity, and probably different sizes for different sized fish.
If you started with live rock and sand, there is a good chance some already hitchhiked in. Pods really won’t do much to skip uglies or help with cycling, but are good for cleanup and natural fish food.
I don’t add phytoplankton to my reef and have a thriving population of amphipods, copepods, and mysis shrimp.
Oh, I was under the impression they really help with the uglies. Good to know phytoplankton isn’t necessary

GeorgeH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an expert and I don't know if there is a "right" answer for you. I would recommend a mix of copepods with the smaller (apex, I think) being where I would start. You don't NEED phytoplankton, but it will probably help your copepods thrive. I have a 75L tank and I add ~2ml of phytofeast a day.
Thanks for the info!

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am very new to this hobby and just got my fluval evo 13.5g cycled. I have been reading about copepods and am interested in them to help skip or dampen the ugly stage. I've read articles and watched a few youtube videos but the information all seems very advanced and I cant seem to find a really basic beginner guide. I had a few questions I hoped could be answered.

1) Do I need to also buy phytoplankton as well? If so how frequently do I add phytoplankton?

2) The LFS near me has many different bottles (Tigger pods, Apex Pods, Pac Pods, Arcti pods) and I have no clue which I should get

Thanks for the help!
Pac pods and arcti pods are not live copepods just fish food . Tisbe Biminiensis is going to be your best bet to help with " the ugly faze " . Phytoplankton dosing definitely helps with a growing copepod population

OP
OP
P

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pac pods and arcti pods are not live copepods just fish food . Tisbe Biminiensis is going to be your best bet to help with " the ugly faze " . Phytoplankton dosing definitely helps with a growing copepod population
Thank you, ill try and see if my LFS has Tisbe Biminiensis there

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back