Copepods

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a nice colony, my glass has lots of pods and fuge has tons ; question is: how do the pods make it to the corals ? The pods seem to affix themselves to surfaces (ie not float around) so do the pods have to crawl on a coral ? What about the fish do they find the pods ?
Thanks Carl

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look at night. You'll probably see them everywhere.

js_marra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a nice colony, my glass has lots of pods and fuge has tons ; question is: how do the pods make it to the corals ? The pods seem to affix themselves to surfaces (ie not float around) so do the pods have to crawl on a coral ? What about the fish do they find the pods ?
Thanks Carl

They will definitely make it to the corals one way or another. They will crawl on them or most likely get blown around by your pumps and into the polyps. Fish will find your pods fast. They will rapidly go through your pod population once you have them. That's when having the refugium will be important to the pods have a place to hide and multiply without the threat of fish

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will definitely make it to the corals one way or another. They will crawl on them or most likely get blown around by your pumps and into the polyps. Fish will find your pods fast. They will rapidly go through your pod population once you have them. That's when having the refugium will be important to the pods have a place to hide and multiply without the threat of fish
Is there anything you can put in the fuge to help them populate? Like what's the ultimate pod-fuge setup?

js_marra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything you can put in the fuge to help them populate? Like what's the ultimate pod-fuge setup?

any kind of macroalgae like chaeto would be really beneficial as it provides them with food and a place to hide and colonize. Also, super porous bio media like marine pure is great for pods to colonize. Small pieces of live rock rubble will work as well. I would do a lot of marine pure, macroalgae, some live rock rubble, and a good light to grow the macroalge as a refugium if you have the room for one

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any kind of macroalgae like chaeto would be really beneficial as it provides them with food and a place to hide and colonize. Also, super porous bio media like marine pure is great for pods to colonize. Small pieces of live rock rubble will work as well. I would do a lot of marine pure, macroalgae, some live rock rubble, and a good light to grow the macroalge as a refugium if you have the room for one
I have a fluval aio 13g tank and was thinking about doing a refugeum in the over flow for copepods. But dont you have to have a like if you have chaeto?

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Yeah I just set up a 75 gallon with 29g sump. Will def be taking advantage of that space. Thanks!

js_marra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval aio 13g tank and was thinking about doing a refugeum in the over flow for copepods. But dont you have to have a like if you have chaeto?

you do need a light for the chaeto to grow for it to do anything benficial for your system.
I used to have the evo 13g as well and its chambers are tough to set up a fuge in, but you can get a media baket of some sort to hold the chaeto (recommend chamber 2) and then buy a cheap desktop light off of amazon to hang over it. There are also lights out there that you can mount to the side of your tank that blast light right into the chamber for the chaeto.

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you do need a light for the chaeto to grow for it to do anything benficial for your system.
I used to have the evo 13g as well and its chambers are tough to set up a fuge in, but you can get a media baket of some sort to hold the chaeto (recommend chamber 2) and then buy a cheap desktop light off of amazon to hang over it. There are also lights out there that you can mount to the side of your tank that blast light right into the chamber for the chaeto.
I keep my media in the middle chamber. I was thinking of doing it in the 1st chamber but then there won't be any water flow through it. And I'd proffer the light that goes on the side of the tank

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back