Copepods

Jimmylinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A216F8AD-917B-49A8-A176-AAA665B5B1CB.jpeg
So I have a weird situation right now. I have a 120 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump that has had fish in for about 4 weeks(one clown and one Foxface) In my sump I have an area for a refugium however there is no chaeto right now because I am not home and won’t be home until February. Someone else is watching the tank. I can’t set up the refugium because the light for the chaeto is with me not at my house. I was wondering if I could order copepods and have the person watching the tank put them in the tank without there being chaeto or if I should wait until I get home and the chaeto is established first. How much fluid oz of pods do I need for my tank? And also is phyto dosing necessary? The tank is currently going through diatoms right now

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like now would be the perfect time to add some pods directly to the tank feeding them some ocean magic. Diatoms will end up going away sooner or later but having the pods in there will help that process along a lot quicker. You dont have any fish at the moment " six line wrasse" who will just stay up all night feeding on them so dump a whole bunch in and let em grow.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto just gives the pods a nice place to live and reproduce but as long as you have enough rock for them to hide out in during the day, you can go ahead and introduce them now. They will eat algae and detritus and bacteria in your tank so phyto dosing isn’t absolutely necessary however phyto dosing is the best way to boos their population.

OP
OP
Jimmylinny

Jimmylinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like now would be the perfect time to add some pods directly to the tank feeding them some ocean magic. Diatoms will end up going away sooner or later but having the pods in there will help that process along a lot quicker. You dont have any fish at the moment " six line wrasse" who will just stay up all night feeding on them so dump a whole bunch in and let em grow.
Shouldn’t I add to the refugium section so it can populate that area?

OP
OP
Jimmylinny

Jimmylinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto just gives the pods a nice place to live and reproduce but as long as you have enough rock for them to hide out in during the day, you can go ahead and introduce them now. They will eat algae and detritus and bacteria in your tank so phyto dosing isn’t absolutely necessary however phyto dosing is the best way to boos their population.
I guess since I only have 2 fish both of which don’t eat a lot of pods I could add them now. Should I add to refugium section of the sump or into the main display. How much should I add?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess since I only have 2 fish both of which don’t eat a lot of pods I could add them now. Should I add to refugium section of the sump or into the main display. How much should I add?
You can do both. When I seeded my tank, I poured most of the bottle into the refugium and the rest into the main tank. Even if you only put into your refugium, eventually the pods will get into your display. Check out jaysreefbugs here or on his website. His prices for pods are much cheaper and you can get a few bottles to seed your tank.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add them into the tank right now. since you don’t have a refugium yet, that’s where they’re most likely to find a place to hide and enough food to reproduce. Turn the pumps and lights off for a few minutes to let them settle in without being eaten.

OP
OP
Jimmylinny

Jimmylinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add them into the tank right now. since you don’t have a refugium yet, that’s where they’re most likely to find a place to hide and enough food to reproduce. Turn the pumps and lights off for a few minutes to let them settle in without being eaten.
Could I turn of the pumps and add to the refugium section. I’m sure they’ll find their way to the display

OP
OP
Jimmylinny

Jimmylinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do both. When I seeded my tank, I poured most of the bottle into the refugium and the rest into the main tank. Even if you only put into your refugium, eventually the pods will get into your display. Check out jaysreefbugs here or on his website. His prices for pods are much cheaper and you can get a few bottles to seed your tank.
Just emailed jays reef bug asking about how much I need!

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t I add to the refugium section so it can populate that area?
They will pop in the display just turn off pumps - circulation for 20 to let them settle. After you get your refugium where you want it add more. Dont forget starting a refugium isnt an over night project. Your gonna have to play with it untill you feel satisfied that its doing its job before you start seeding it.

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add them at any point and should be ok! Do it when lights are out so they don't get eaten right away by hungry fish.

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest dosing phyto regardless of pod population. It just makes everything happier. One of my now regular customers was skeptical of dosing phyto, but has stated ever since he started last month his tank has never looked better and all his coral have "perked up", in his words. I understand you only have fish and pods right now, but I'd still suggest it. You can even grow your own, it's not terribly difficult. Just make sure it's nutrient depleted before harvesting (color will be intensely dark and light should barely pass through it). Also understand that you cannot just buy a mixed phyto and expect it to stay that way. The dominant algae will win out and take over the culture. I'd suggest getting Isochrysis galbana (not sp.) and Tetra. Those are relatively easy and fast growers.

MarkaRagnos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest dosing phyto regardless of pod population. It just makes everything happier. One of my now regular customers was skeptical of dosing phyto, but has stated ever since he started last month his tank has never looked better and all his coral have "perked up", in his words. I understand you only have fish and pods right now, but I'd still suggest it. You can even grow your own, it's not terribly difficult. Just make sure it's nutrient depleted before harvesting (color will be intensely dark and light should barely pass through it). Also understand that you cannot just buy a mixed phyto and expect it to stay that way. The dominant algae will win out and take over the culture. I'd suggest getting Isochrysis galbana (not sp.) and Tetra. Those are relatively easy and fast growers.
Agreed

Back