Coperbrand white spots

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , I am new in this. Can you please help me diagnose what's going on with my copperband.
20231209_203053.jpg
Screenshot_20231209_204145_Gallery.jpg
He is eat good , but I noticed this spots on his fins... can it be something different from ich ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , I am new in this. Can you please help me diagnose what's going on with my copperband.
20231209_203053.jpg
Screenshot_20231209_204145_Gallery.jpg
He is eat good , but I noticed this spots on his fins... can it be something different from ich ?

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

White spots themselves can be difficult to diagnose - this certainly could be marine ich, Cryptocaryon. Copperbands are also prone to Lymphocystis virus. These spots are a bit small for that, but they may just be starting. Lymphocystis doesn't need to be treated, ich usually does.

The way to tell them apart is this: watch the spots each day (sometimes by comparing photographs). If the spots are in the same location day to day, it is likely lymphocystis. If the spots come and go, change in numbers, but generally increase in numbers over time, it is most likely ich.

What you should do is prepare for if it is ich; you'll have three options: coppersafe in a treatment tank for all fish, hyposalinity (low salinity) in your main tank if you do not have any invertebrates in there. Or something called "ich management" where you try a variety of techniques to keep the parasite at bay.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lympho or fin ray is my guess but Jay is more comprehensive with his possibilities

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lympho or fin ray is my guess but Jay is more comprehensive with his possibilities
Curious what is fin ray. PS to the op - it would be helpful to know how long you've had the fish, whether other fish have the symptoms and if the fish has any other symptoms. Were all of your fish quarantined per protocol? Additionally, if you're going to treat with copper, you should treat all of the fish in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Curious what is fin ray. PS to the op - it would be helpful to know how long you've had the fish, whether other fish have the symptoms and if the fish has any other symptoms. Were all of your fish quarantined per protocol? Additionally, if you're going to treat with copper, you should treat all of the fish in the tank.
Fin ray issue often seen on angels and butterflies

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Интересно, что такое плавниковый луч. PS к вопросу: было бы полезно узнать, как долго вы едите рыбу, есть ли симптомы у других рыб и есть ли у рыбы какие-либо другие симптомы. Вся ли ваша рыба была помещена в карантин согласно протоколу? Кроме того, если вы собираетесь лечить медью, вам следует обработать всю рыбу в аквариуме.
I started 5 months ago, another fish feeling good , no symptoms. I don't use quarantine tank for fish . but I do dipping for new fish before bring it in tank coperbrand looks the same today , eat well also

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

White spots themselves can be difficult to diagnose - this certainly could be marine ich, Cryptocaryon. Copperbands are also prone to Lymphocystis virus. These spots are a bit small for that, but they may just be starting. Lymphocystis doesn't need to be treated, ich usually does.

The way to tell them apart is this: watch the spots each day (sometimes by comparing photographs). If the spots are in the same location day to day, it is likely lymphocystis. If the spots come and go, change in numbers, but generally increase in numbers over time, it is most likely ich.

What you should do is prepare for if it is ich; you'll have three options: coppersafe in a treatment tank for all fish, hyposalinity (low salinity) in your main tank if you do not have any invertebrates in there. Or something called "ich management" where you try a variety of techniques to keep the parasite at bay.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back