Are these white spots something to worry about??

A13xander60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm new to saltwater fish keeping. I've noticed my Royal Gramma has some white spots on him. You can see them on the tail in the picture but he also has some on his head too. If it is Ich, what treatments can I do? A QT tank isn't an option as I don't have the space for it or the money. I watched a BRS video and it doesn't look like Velvet but I'm not experienced enough to know the difference between Lymph and Ich yet.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm travelling to a marine fish shop tomorrow to pick up some supplies.

IMG_8906.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

I'm new to saltwater fish keeping. I've noticed my Royal Gramma has some white spots on him. You can see them on the tail in the picture but he also has some on his head too. If it is Ich, what treatments can I do? A QT tank isn't an option as I don't have the space for it or the money. I watched a BRS video and it doesn't look like Velvet but I'm not experienced enough to know the difference between Lymph and Ich yet.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm travelling to a marine fish shop tomorrow to pick up some supplies.

IMG_8906.jpg
Pic is very fuzzy to determine
Assure glass and camera lens are clear
These fish susceptible to both ich and flukes
May be either

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That does look like marine ich, Cryptocaryon irritans. That is a common protozoan disease that can spread to most/all fish in your tank if not treated. Without a quarantine/treatment tank, you may have a lot of difficulty in treating that in a newer system. Most of the "invertebrate safe" ich remedies simply don't work. There is a series of techniques called "ich management" that can be used with corals and invertebrates in the tank, but be aware that it often doesn't work well. Your very best bet would be to treat all fish with coppersafe for 30 days in a treatment tank, then hold those fish there for another 30 days before moving them back. I understand that you said you can't set up a treatment tank, but that really is the best way to go.

If you want to explore ich management, you should read this thread:

Jay

OP
OP
A

A13xander60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi both, thanks for your input. I thought it may be easier to see on my clownfish as they are darker.
Is a smaller 15/20 Litre tank fine for a quarantine? Then I can break it down and just use it as needed?
And does it have to be that long that I leave the fish out of the "main" tank? Just as it'll look a little sad and I won't be able to do much better then a £10 filter for that tank. How would I maintain the QT tank for 2 months??

Attachments

• IMG_8907.MOV
    1.1 MB
OP
OP
A

A13xander60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally, how effective is Polyplab's reef safe treatment? As I've seen a lot of good stuff about that

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally, how effective is Polyplab's reef safe treatment? As I've seen a lot of good stuff about that

You can try that, but it really needs to be only used as one part of "ich management". Used by itself, it often fails to stop active infections.

OP
OP
A

A13xander60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try that, but it really needs to be only used as one part of "ich management". Used by itself, it often fails to stop active infections.
I'm going to use that stuff along with ginger to increase their immune system. Gonna do a water change where I agitate the sand too and hope that works. Will start the ginger and polyplab stuff tomorrow :)

OP
OP
A

A13xander60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to bed after that last post and woke up to this...

That doesn't look good

Attachments

• IMG_8908.MOV
    801.5 KB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to bed after that last post and woke up to this...

That doesn't look good

Sorry to see - that has moved past the "ich management" phase, it is going to require an active treatment.

OP
OP
A

A13xander60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see - that has moved past the "ich management" phase, it is going to require an active treatment.
Unfortunately so, I'm using the ginger and the polyplab medic and the clownfish are still alive. I lost the RG yesterday which was upsetting, especially as he was my first fish. I'm just hoping the clowns pull through. They're still eating enthusiastically which is a good sign.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately so, I'm using the ginger and the polyplab medic and the clownfish are still alive. I lost the RG yesterday which was upsetting, especially as he was my first fish. I'm just hoping the clowns pull through. They're still eating enthusiastically which is a good sign.

That regimen often fails with advanced infections like this, but finger crossed!

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back