New Hobbyist: ich diagnosis confirmation

Mochlate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2024-03-02 08_36_14-Window.png

This little guy has had some lighter patches of funk on his skin for a few days which you can still see, but today I am noticing this much more pronounced white spot. I'm guessing this is Ich based on what I have seen online but I am fairly new so I'm not sure. Any diagnostic input from more experienced hobbyists would be greatly appreciated.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
2024-03-02 08_36_14-Window.png

This little guy has had some lighter patches of funk on his skin for a few days which you can still see, but today I am noticing this much more pronounced white spot. I'm guessing this is Ich based on what I have seen online but I am fairly new so I'm not sure. Any diagnostic input from more experienced hobbyists would be greatly appreciated.
Does appear to be ich and will require treatment in a separate quarantine tank treated with coppersafe at 2.1-2.3 level of copper monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand and added aeration for 21-30 days
I recommend the range of copper based on type of fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

While the spot does look like ich, it could also just be a sand grain. The diffuse skin discoloration does add to the ich diagnosis.
Waiting a couple of days while you prepare for the worst (you may need a treatment tank) will help diagnose: if the spots come and go and change location, but gradually increase in numbers, it is probably ich.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back