Copper good for butterfly and borbonius?

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so I’m getting a butterfly and a borbonius today. Wanted to know if cooer powder should be ok for them? They are going to be in a 10 qt I added copper power so I can have it already ready tomorrow while I acclimate them let me know if they both can handle I did research but could find an answer some say it’s ok some say it’s bad.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know, I’m new to this hobby I don’t know much I just know people have success with copper powder. Already had it in my tank but I didn’t know until some guy at a shop said copper kills butterfly fish so that’s why I’m here.

They should be fine in copper power. Most copper issues were with old/different formulations. To put it bluntly, I find usually people who say no to copper had a fish die while in copper and blame the copper without good reason (ex: they die from the copper not being ramped up fast enough, from some other issue that copper doesn't treat, the fish were too far gone, or the QT tank wasn't set up properly). Very few fish in the hobby don't do well with copper power. I used to work at some LFS stores that ran copper between 2ppm and 2.5ppm and when a fish died it was usually because it came in not healty, had lots of flukes, or got some bacterial infection. @vetteguy53081 and @Jay Hemdal are good to ask about this and Jay has a huge disease QT thread on this website. I tagged them so they can add more thought about those specific fish

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fine in copper. Most copper issues were with old/different formulations. To put it bluntly, usually people who say no to copper had a fish die while in copper and blame the copper without good reason.
Alright!!!! thank you so much

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright!!!! thank you so much

This is helpful. Jay mentions that, overall, anthias don't seem to really like copper but he has done it before with coppersafe and this species. Copper safe and copper power are the two typically mentioned as the best options. I've never seen an issue with butterflies and copper from my experience.

OP
OP
K

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is helpful. Jay mentions that, overall, anthias don't seem to really like copper but he has done it before with coppersafe and this species. Copper safe and copper power are the two typically mentioned as the best options. I've never seen an issue with butterflies and copper from my experience.
Thank you this info helped me a lot appreciate your time

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back