Copper in AF supplement, will my shrimps survive?

shrimplover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I bought something from a store and got a sample of AF Protein Power for Ornamental Fish. It’s tiny thinking pellets.

I tossed some into my freshwater tank yesterday and saltwater tank today. Fish loved them. Some sank to buttom.

The bamboo shrimps in the freshwater are looking terrible today. Like they have been poisoned. Laying on sides sometimes, not eating.

I checked parameters and all is fine. Pondered all day about the bamboos and only after feeding these AF pellets into my saltwater it dawned to me that these could be to blame

They have 0.056 mg copper per gram or 5,6 mg per kilo.

Have I killed all my shrimps in all tanks now?

About AF Protein Power

AF Protein Power is a natural composition created especially for young ornamental fish. It is a complete food made exclusively from natural components such as fish, cereals, and fish oil. Enriched with lecithin to support nervous system and metabolism. The high content of protein and fats has a positive influence on proper development of young fish, and astaxanthin promotes their coloration.

AF Protein Power is a complex food with well-balanced composition. Perfect as a base of the diet. Soft, small granules make it eagerly eaten even by the smallest aquarium inhabitants.

The product is for aquarium use only. Not suitable for human consumption. Store in a dry and cool place away from children.

Key features:

Complete feed blend for young fish

High in protein and fats

Enriched with lecithin

Color-enhancing astaxanthin

Formulated with natural ingredients

Soft pellets

Ingredients:
fish and fish products, cereals, fish oil, lecithin, yeast, antioxidants, colorants (astaxanthin).

Additives: vit. A 11200 IU/kg, vit. C 560 mg/kg, vit. E 224 mg/kg, vit. D3 1300 IU/kg, iron 67.2 mg/kg, iodine 5.6 mg/kg, copper 5.6 mg/kg, manganese 22.4 mg/kg, zinc 67.2 mg/kg.

Analytical ingredients: crude protein: 42.4%, crude fat: 10.4%, crude fiber: 0.2%, crude ash: 8.4%, moisture content: 24.2%.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't blame the food. 5.6 mg per kg is 5.6 ppm, but this is just for the mass of the pellets, so if you fed a half gram of them to tens of kilograms of water, the addition is on the order if a couple of ppb, maximum.

Copper is included in foods (even shrimp specific foods) as it is essential for metabolic function. The problem comes when the concentration is too high and it becomes toxic, but you'd have to feed an awful lot of any aquarium food to get to those levels (and would run into other water quality issues before copper poisoning.)

OP
OP
S

shrimplover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't blame the food. 5.6 mg per kg is 5.6 ppm, but this is just for the mass of the pellets, so if you fed a half gram of them to tens of kilograms of water, the addition is on the order if a couple of ppb, maximum.

Copper is included in foods (even shrimp specific foods) as it is essential for metabolic function. The problem comes when the concentration is too high and it becomes toxic, but you'd have to feed an awful lot of any aquarium food to get to those levels (and would run into other water quality issues before copper poisoning.)
Okay, thank you for clarifying this!

One shrimp died yesterday in the freshwater but this shrimp and a couple of others were recent additions so I guess the acclimation process wasn't good enough cause water is fine. I'm not particualry thorough when it comes to freshwater acclimation, so that's a lesson learned :face-with-rolling-eyes:

Marine tank shrimps are all doing well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back