Understanding Burnt Tips in my Reef

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider thriving as displaying great colors and solid strong growth. Which given the right flow and nutrients I believe pretty much any acro can thrive with 150 par. There a big difference between too low of par, enough par, and more than necessary. I'd also say poor growth structure is just as much to blame on inadequate flow if not more so than inadequate lighting.

If you haven't yet, check out Dana Riddles video on the study he did in Hawaii. He did a study on corals in a tide pool just a few inches deep getting as much light as physically possible and it revealed that high light corals go into photo inhibition far quicker than you'd think.

Anyway, flow, light are both important, obviously, but I think a coral with higher lighting but lower flow will struggle compared to a coral with lower par but greater flow... Everything else being equal.

Again, I don't want anyone to take this as me trying to convince you to change what works. Just a friendly exchange of ideas.

Oh, and I a agree, the importance of alk, particularly stability, can't be overstated.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back