Copper in Display tank

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 4 months ago I accidentally put my copper sponge from qt to my display tank

I been using cupsorb

Any ideas how I can remove copper quickly from the tank

Thank you

20201221_190904.jpg 20201221_190736.jpg Screenshot_20201221-193641_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have taken the right steps. It’s a process and will take time. This happened to me in 2012 and it took over a year to get out of the woods. I recommend getting as much water to come in contact with the cuprisorb via using a reactor. I remember using a canister filter from pet smart.

how long was the copper in your system before treatment was started? For me it was a few months before I caught it. Once I started treating I learned my rocks were now leaching it.

it is recoverable just be patient nothing else you can do

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try using brightwell purit in a media reactor and also water changes
I been doing water changes i would say 4 months now, thank you for the feedback, I did order the poly filter for a sec. I said holy filter, 0.07% shows as you sow the picnfirst testing did I, it was with a timer second test injust pressed on it, I'll test more when I go home from work first test was reading 0.05

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have taken the right steps. It’s a process and will take time. This happened to me in 2012 and it took over a year to get out of the woods. I recommend getting as much water to come in contact with the cuprisorb via using a reactor. I remember using a canister filter from pet smart.

how long was the copper in your system before treatment was started? For me it was a few months before I caught it. Once I started treating I learned my rocks were now leaching it.

It was was a dry sponge I thought it was new, as you said few months I last so many of my corals my wonderful scollys omg makes me cry

I would say 4000$ maybe more corals died, now I am so caution

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

0.05% is not that bad is it

stauzin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is purit for freshwater only

Brightwell Aquatics Purit Chemical Filtration Media for Marine and Freshwater Aquaria
It can be used in reef tanks, I used it to remove high aluminum that showed up on an icp test that I ran on my reef tank, worked really well.

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be used in reef tanks, I used it to remove high aluminum that showed up on an icp test that I ran on my reef tank, worked really well.

So, here is the latest status.

Attachments

• 20201223_205132.jpg
    20201223_205132.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 16

gmdcdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still new to a lot of this. I have a QT tank that I treated with copper. When I was done I added activated charcoal and continued to check copper levels with my Hanna checker. They were down to almost zero within 24 hours. I replaced the charcoal after 24 hours to try and prevent it from leaching out of the carbon and within another 24 hours it was no longer measurable. Take this for what it is worth since I am pretty inexperienced with all of this still.

Gerry

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still new to a lot of this. I have a QT tank that I treated with copper. When I was done I added activated charcoal and continued to check copper levels with my Hanna checker. They were down to almost zero within 24 hours. I replaced the charcoal after 24 hours to try and prevent it from leaching out of the carbon and within another 24 hours it was no longer measurable. Take this for what it is worth since I am pretty inexperienced with all of this still.

Gerry
Thank you Gerry, I am new to this hobby also been riffing almost 2yrs now.

Attachments

• 16088293863694660199579180807094.jpg
    16088293863694660199579180807094.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 17

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back