Copper Power vs Coppersafe?

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally bought ionic copper to treat my yellow coris wrasse in QT instead of chelated copper. According to the chart in one of the sticky threads, chelated copper is a bit easier on wrasses than ionic. My confusion is this: is there really any sort of difference between Copper Power and Coppersafe? Is it a matter of personal preference, or is one legitimately more effective?

And in terms of slowly ramping up the concentration, should this be done over 2-4 days or more like 7-10 days, to reach therapeutic levels? Does that depend on how the fish appears to be handling it? Thanks!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are equally effective. I would not recommend copper safe unless you are using the Hanna checker to test.

For wrasse though, chelated is the way to go IMO.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both should be the same in principle but there have been some issues with coppersafe. Check below by @HotRocks:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...instruments-high-range-copper-checker.368943/

Re. Ramping up it depends on what are you treating. If ich, then you can usually ramp up over 5-7 days.

If it’s velvet you won’t have the time to ramp up and need to get to the therapeutic dose right away.
I'm treating prophylactically, so I'll do 5-7 days. Thanks for the input!

Both are equally effective. I would not recommend copper safe unless you are using the Hanna checker to test.

For wrasse though, chelated is the way to go IMO.
I have both the Salifert and Seachem copper test kits. Do you think that using both will be sufficient to use Coppersafe, since I don't have the Hanna checker? Or should I stick with Copper Power? Thanks!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have both the Salifert and Seachem copper test kits. Do you think that using both will be sufficient to use Coppersafe, since I don't have the Hanna checker? Or should I stick with Copper Power? Thanks!
Those test kits are for ionic copper. They do not read high enough to measure chelated copper.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 14 days is a minimum treatment time frame that you want to use and thats only if you can move the fish to a new sterile qt after. I doubt 5-7 days in copper will be effective against ich or velvet.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those test kits are for ionic copper. They do not read high enough to measure chelated copper.
Oh. That's good to know, thanks. Guess I'll suck it up and buy the Hanna checker. I think BRS might still have them on sale, if there's any left in stock. Do you recommend getting those copper standards/calibrators as well?

I think 14 days is a minimum treatment time frame that you want to use and thats only if you can move the fish to a new sterile qt after. I doubt 5-7 days in copper will be effective against ich or velvet.
Oh, sorry- I meant that I'll ramp the dose up over the course of 5-7 days to make sure the wrasse is tolerating it okay, and then keep the concentration at therapeutic levels for 14 days.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back