copper power

dwint

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a puffer shipped to me last week and this morning i noticed it flashing on decorations and it does have white dots.I went to the fish store and he gave me 40z of copper power and told me to use about 4 capfulls in the 29 gallon.After alot of reading this sounds so wrong.One capfull is a teaspoon.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always heard/been told not to treat puffers with copper. Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in. Maybe hypo would be the better option?

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper and puffers might only be an issue with copper products like seachem cupramine (usually more harsh than copper power/coppersafe).
I've treated (in quarantine) both of my porcupine puffers with copper power @~2.50-2.60ppm (hanna checker reading) with 0 observable appetite loss or issues.
Dosing it into your display would be fairly difficult due to copper being absorbed by any calcium carbonate (sand and rocks) in the tank and blindly dosing (capfuls vs actual testing) seems like an additionally poor decision.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest not using copper or any medications in your main display tank and it’s always best to administer in a qt.
Now that being said, you will need about 42 ml of copper power for 29g of water to archive a copper level of 2.5.
(1.48ml of copper power per one gallon of water to chive 2.5 ppm of copper).
Copper level should be raised slowly within 24-48 hours.
You will need a good copper test kit as well to test the copper level (Hanna high range copper testes is the best).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back