Copper Sulfate in Hikari pellets for Lionfish?

Ananth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Friends,
Trying to get my Miles Lionfish to take pellets (occasional). They are presently on live Mollies diet.

Nutrition information in Hikari Massivore pellets contains Copper Sulfate, I know that copper is not good for Lionfish. Can we feed them these pellets
IMG_20230820_112232.jpg

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the lionfish will eat the pellets, but regardless, copper is a needed trace element. It should be safe to feed. They seem to not tolerate high copper concentrations in the water, but that doesn’t mean they won’t tolerate a trace amount in their food.

The dose makes the poison.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The copper sulfate in a pellet would be a very small amount, which is actually a necessary dietary element. The issue with copper exposure in the aquarium, is that it becomes a toxic level. I would be more concerned with all the meal products, yeast, starch, and flours. Really why would feed aquatic life all that garbage.

OP
OP
A

Ananth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Lionfish yesterday picked it up from LFS. He is in observational QT, ate 4 juvi Mollies yesterday and 3 more today.

Just saw cuticle ( mucus) floating in the tank. Anything to worry?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Lionfish yesterday picked it up from LFS. He is in observational QT, ate 4 juvi Mollies yesterday and 3 more today.

Just saw cuticle ( mucus) floating in the tank. Anything to worry?

This could be and likely is, normal shedding. This happens many times as a result of a change of water chemistry, introducton into a new tank. Miles are usually very accommodating to taking dead foods, give it 2-3 days and start offering chunks of preferably fresh seafood. Check out some of my threads for suggestions on healthy foods that will promote a long captive life. These guys will generally take to stick feeding, initially just getting their attention and dropping a chunk within their vision works. The food will just need to be in motion. Mollies are a good live food offering in the meantime. If it's your preference they can live indefinitely on live mollies, as they are a complete food which mimics closely to their native diet.

Any lethargy or refusal of live food would be an alert to something to be concerned.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 46 26.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 41 23.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back