Getting Copperband to eat pellets?

Wave Whisperer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering, has anyone here had success in getting a Copperband to eat pellets besides frozen foods? I have a copperband with me for almost a year, and so far he's been thriving well on a diet of frozen mysis, brine and occasionally blood worms. You see, I have to be away for work for days most times and the only fish in my tank that's solely eating frozen is my copperband. The rest of my other fishes won't mind whatever I feed them. Especially the tangs, they are pigs! I have an autofeeder with a mix of Hikari pellets and Ocean Nutrition flakes thrown in so I'm not too worried about them.

For those having copperbands eating dry food, any tips?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I've had mine for 21 months and it still only eats frozen and mastick I mix from powder. It will eat black and white worms also but I don't feed them often as they are not available locally. I mix small pellets in with the mastick but the CBB will spit them out then go back for another bite. I've heard of a few people getting them to eat pellets but the success stories are limited to a few cases.

delv2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How need to die to get one that eats? Most of the ones I see that have survived a while are thin looking as well...

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put all new fish in QT to get them to eat aggressive. And of course to check for disease. I have a 20 gal long from petco dollar per gallon sale, with a hang on the back filter and cheap clip on light.

OP
OP
Wave Whisperer

Wave Whisperer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How need to die to get one that eats? Most of the ones I see that have survived a while are thin looking as well...
For me, when I initially got him I tried using the PVC pipe method with fair success after a few days. You get a small PVC pipe, cap both ends, but don't glue them. Drill a few holes in the pipe just big enough for them to peer in and their mouths to get what's inside. Stuff in a cube of frozen mysis, place it in the tank. He will find it, no worries about that. For me, after about a week, you will find him joining the rest of his fish buddies feeding from the water column when u drop in a few cubes of frozen mysis or brine shrimps. YMMV though, as some copperbands are really hard to get to eat. The next challenge is however is to get him to feed on dry food. That will make his diet varied and nutritious.

OP
OP
Wave Whisperer

Wave Whisperer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I've had mine for 21 months and it still only eats frozen and mastick I mix from powder. It will eat black and white worms also but I don't feed them often as they are not available locally. I mix small pellets in with the mastick but the CBB will spit them out then go back for another bite. I've heard of a few people getting them to eat pellets but the success stories are limited to a few cases.
Indeed, I've read success stories as well in regards to Copperbands going on a dry diet, but seems not much in the community. I did tried to get him on flakes since he wouldn't touch the pellets. Not much success as well. Hopefully this thread will get some traction, as Copperbands are one of the most beautiful reef fishes that you can put in a reef tank. I adore mine.

Oh I also have a clam in my tank. He doesn't touch it at all(knock on wood). I guess maybe the trick is to put in the clam AFTER the copperband is established on frozen, as he'll know that he'll be fed regardless.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No joy with several different pellets.
He voraciously eats masstick, mysis & live blackworms

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine 5 years. Eats every type of seafood I have offered mysis worms aiptasia even scrambled eggs (just curious but could fowl a tank i am told) won’t touch pellets. I wish.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your copperband eats masstick, be happy.

The challenge is getting copperbands to eat - period.

I overcame that with frozen clams and then weaning onto frozen mysis/brine.

I don't know that I would push it further trying to get them to eat pellets until they start getting captive bred more often.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back