Copper Sulfate in Hikari pellets for Lionfish?

Ananth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Friends,
Trying to get my Miles Lionfish to take pellets (occasional). They are presently on live Mollies diet.

Nutrition information in Hikari Massivore pellets contains Copper Sulfate, I know that copper is not good for Lionfish. Can we feed them these pellets
IMG_20230820_112232.jpg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the lionfish will eat the pellets, but regardless, copper is a needed trace element. It should be safe to feed. They seem to not tolerate high copper concentrations in the water, but that doesn’t mean they won’t tolerate a trace amount in their food.

The dose makes the poison.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The copper sulfate in a pellet would be a very small amount, which is actually a necessary dietary element. The issue with copper exposure in the aquarium, is that it becomes a toxic level. I would be more concerned with all the meal products, yeast, starch, and flours. Really why would feed aquatic life all that garbage.

OP
OP
A

Ananth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Lionfish yesterday picked it up from LFS. He is in observational QT, ate 4 juvi Mollies yesterday and 3 more today.

Just saw cuticle ( mucus) floating in the tank. Anything to worry?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Lionfish yesterday picked it up from LFS. He is in observational QT, ate 4 juvi Mollies yesterday and 3 more today.

Just saw cuticle ( mucus) floating in the tank. Anything to worry?

This could be and likely is, normal shedding. This happens many times as a result of a change of water chemistry, introducton into a new tank. Miles are usually very accommodating to taking dead foods, give it 2-3 days and start offering chunks of preferably fresh seafood. Check out some of my threads for suggestions on healthy foods that will promote a long captive life. These guys will generally take to stick feeding, initially just getting their attention and dropping a chunk within their vision works. The food will just need to be in motion. Mollies are a good live food offering in the meantime. If it's your preference they can live indefinitely on live mollies, as they are a complete food which mimics closely to their native diet.

Any lethargy or refusal of live food would be an alert to something to be concerned.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back