Copper treatment - Clown in rough shape

CudasReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four days ago I noticed my Gramma and my two clowns starting to develop white spots. My one clown and my gramma was itching/flashing as well. Was quite certain it was ich.

I pulled them all out and got them in to QT tanks. My DT is now fallow.

I slowly ramped up my Copper power to 2.25 over the course of the last three days. I woke up today to my one clown passing and my other in really bad shape. The QT tank is sitting at about 2.3 Copper, 1.025 Salinity. Just did a fresh 95% water change yesterday. QT Tank has an airstone, hob, heater.

I live in Canada so meds are a PAIN To get ahold of. What is happening with my other clown? One of the greyish spots looks like its protruding slightly on her. Any help would be amazing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Four days ago I noticed my Gramma and my two clowns starting to develop white spots. My one clown and my gramma was itching/flashing as well. Was quite certain it was ich.

I slowly ramped up my Copper power to 2.25 over the course of the last three days. I woke up today to my one clown passing and my other in really bad shape. The QT tank is sitting at about 2.3 Copper, 1.025 Salinity. Just did a fresh 95% water change yesterday. QT Tank has an airstone, hob, heater.

I live in Canada so meds are a PAIN To get ahold of. What is happening with my other clown? One of the greyish spots looks like its protruding slightly on her. Any help would be amazing.
Can’t open video
Please post you tube version

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked your ammonia levels? Does that HOB have cycled biomedia? Is that biomedia inert so it doesn’t absorb the copper?

Could you have velvet?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can’t open the video either. What test are you using for copper? What is the ammonia level and what test are you using for that?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree - can't see the video - unfortunately. Just to make sure - all of the fish are now in copper 2.25 (which test are you using).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

Can open video now. This is one that has been a mystery mainly with tank raised clowns and is a bruising most visible as red or brown patches and does not break skin as uronema would and are more like lesions. While ruby rally pro may help with it, we've seen self recovery and non-recovery
Assure good water quality and diet are provided moving forward

OP
OP
C

CudasReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's still in rough shape. I have very little hope for her. It looks like there is a single protrusion on her skin? You can see it in the video near her dorsal fin.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She's still in rough shape. I have very little hope for her. It looks like there is a single protrusion on her skin? You can see it in the video near her dorsal fin.
Aside from what is already mentioned, I don't have a better answer. (I cannot see the protrusion you mean) - If you can do it - and you think it would help - a static picture under white light with the protrusion could help

OP
OP
C

CudasReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's passed now. That whiteish-grey circle on the top of her middle white stripe was the part that was protruding. I'm just so confused. She went from white spots (ich) but still quite healthy looking/eating to complete discoloration. Could that be a fluke sticking out on her body? Did the treatment of the ich cause a secondary infection?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's passed now. That whiteish-grey circle on the top of her middle white stripe was the part that was protruding. I'm just so confused. She went from white spots (ich) but still quite healthy looking/eating to complete discoloration. Could that be a fluke sticking out on her body? Did the treatment of the ich cause a secondary infection?

Sorry to hear.

I think the clownfish had multiple issues. One is “clownfish bruising”. Your fish had a severe case of it. The post I started about it is here (no cause or cure is known for this yet).

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back