Copper Treatment with sand sifting Goby

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Goby need sand to sift while in hospital tank? I'm worried about sand absorbing copper... Does it matter if sand will NOT be reused?

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The QT/hospital tank is a bare bottom 20g... I break it down and set it up as needed.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, put a container with sand in it. Even if it is new sand, it will make it much more "comfortable". You can throw the sand out after.

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to container trick...also make sure you are using cupramine not chelated copper...I know this sounds obvious but there are some ppl (and LFS) that use/ sell chelated still.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just went to one :) glad I passed on the chelated copper. What about Coppersafe? That is the only thing the other LFS carries so I will have to wait til Monday if I need to order Cupramine and I've got a Tang still eating but flashing. Also, I have a snowflake eel... Should I try to separately QT it with a different treatment?

mike.creech.39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used
3uhamehu.jpg

mike.creech.39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I uses this safe on all fish but my fish was too far gone but the eel is alive

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gaskins.

NO to coppersafe..active ingredient is chelated copper sulfate...

get cupramine as it safe for use for all fish even sensitive fish like mandarins and gobies...just follow the directions on bottle..

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks NC2WA-I just saw that as I went to pick it up. I'll order Cupramine and a better copper test kit. LOTS of other Ich products but I'm looking for Copper. Also, will Cupramine be OK for the eel? If not, I have a 10 gallon I can isolate it in, but I don't want it to carry Ich for the 9 weeks the DT needs to stay empty and get it right back in.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the answer straight from Seachem. They recommend keeping Copper at therapeutic dose and raising the level SLOWLY over several days in order to give the Eel time to acclimate. Wanted to post in case anyone else wondered. I'm in no rush to raise levels since the fish all seem to be fighting their Ich (knock on wood) and they will get to spend 9+ weeks in hospital tank :)

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under no circumstances use aragonite sand when dosing copper of any kind, or you will be treating the sand with copper, not the fish. You MUST use silica sand.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, will this treatment ruin my hospital/QT tank for future inhabitants? Most other things I can QT in a 10 gallon that hasn't had copper in it, but I usually use one if the same HOB filters (just filter sponge in it for copper, right?) and same thermometer...airline....air stone.... PVC fittings for hideouts.... Should I ditch those things after this?

Critters staying in my DT while "fallow": cleaner shrimp, Turbo snails, assorted hermits, urchin, brittle star(s)... Is it OK to leave all these?? As far as I can tell, Ich will die off with no FISH host. So these should be OK.

Everything I've read says leave DT fish less for minimum of 9 weeks-does that sound right? Should I do longer?

Sorry so many questions....I've done it wrong and now I want to make sure I do it right!

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, once you use copper in a tank in high quantities, it will stick to things. Even cupramine, which is an aminated copper and is much more stable, some will turn into elemental copper and stick. If you want to reuse the tank, do not use copper and use chloroquine phosphate instead.

Most don't care about sand as long as they are eating prepared foods.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20gal. long. When I use cuprimine,I add 7 drops- skip a day add 7 drops and repeat till I reach .35 to .5 on seachem copper test kit. I also use the stick on seachem ammonia alert. I do 5gal a week water change then add 16 drops/ seems to keep copper on point. I leave them in copper treatment for 4 weeks.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is I've never seen him eat any of the prepared foods :/ hopefully he does and I just don't see it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 33.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 43 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 30 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back