Copper Treatment

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a 6-line wrasse and a tail spot blenny and started their quarantine. About 3 days after I started the copper my wrasse suddenly slowed down and after a couple of days unfortunately died. My blenny is still alive but was acting a bit odd before I went on my trip. I am currently out of town and just realized I have my copper at 1.5 instead of 2.5 ppm. Would that have killed the wrasse and should I be worried about coming home to the blenny? Both ate pellets and brine and were doing great until the copper started. Just in case it could be something else my nitrates were 0, my salinity is 1.024, and phosphates are 0.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recently got a 6-line wrasse and a tail spot blenny and started their quarantine. About 3 days after I started the copper my wrasse suddenly slowed down and after a couple of days unfortunately died. My blenny is still alive but was acting a bit odd before I went on my trip. I am currently out of town and just realized I have my copper at 1.5 instead of 2.5 ppm. Would that have killed the wrasse and should I be worried about coming home to the blenny? Both ate pellets and brine and were doing great until the copper started. Just in case it could be something else my nitrates were 0, my salinity is 1.024, and phosphates are 0.
Actually, if they had anything, the copper level you have is too low and would allow a given disease to take hold of the fish. Coppersafe begins working once it reaches level 2.0. How are you measuring the copper level?
Also, are you using coppersafe or Cupramine?

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, if they had anything, the copper level you have is too low and would allow a given disease to take hold of the fish. Coppersafe begins working once it reaches level 2.0. How are you measuring the copper level?
Also, are you using coppersafe or Cupramine?
I am using copper power and measured with a Hanna tester. I should note that I did dose to above 2.0 a couple of days ago. So do you think it was a disease that got ahold of the wrasse from stress? Could it take hold of the blenny too?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am using copper power and measured with a Hanna tester. I should note that I did dose to above 2.0 a couple of days ago. So do you think it was a disease that got ahold of the wrasse from stress? Could it take hold of the blenny too?
Its possible but hard to confirm without seeing fish or video prior to death

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry I don’t have either. I should note though I did not see any visible infections or parasites before and after death
At times you wont see them but rather symptoms. With ich, when we see dots, we see the adult/tromont stage . Flukes we rarely see other than the neobendendia type as examples

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back