Copperband Butterfly Feeding Device

Tig_Tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going on my second Copperband due to the first one not taking clams/mussels on the half shell, and the other feeding device being ignored completely, I figured I would make a DIY feeding device that's effective and almost guaranteed to have them feeding.

Materials:

(1) 3/4" PVC Socket Cap
(1) 3/4" PVC Hex Plug
(2) Rare Earth Magnets (Coin sized or smaller)
(1) Felt
(1) Coral Target Feeder bought from eBay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Coral-R...736719?hash=item3f4cf0000f:g:p3UAAOSwq7JT8vyy

Tools:
Scissors
3/16" Drill Bit
Chamfer/Deburr Tool
Carbide Ball End Bit
Carbide Cylinder End Bit

image.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tig_Tech

Tig_Tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with the 3/4" PVC Socket Cap and drill five 3/16" holes on the end and chamfer the holes on the inside and outside.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Tig_Tech

Tig_Tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next, buy a 3/4" PVC Plug and route a shallow depression enough for a coin magnet to fit flush, super glue it in place and seal the magnet with the glue. Cut a piece of felt to cover and protect it from the aquarium glass when sliding it in.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Tig_Tech

Tig_Tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now connect the two tight enough where you're able to pull it back apart with ease when you're refilling the device but deep enough to clear enough edge distance for the next hole. Drill one 3/16" hole through both pieces and chamfer the outside hole of the cap.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Tig_Tech

Tig_Tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a long skinny baster/pipette to help loosen the food around in the device when it's frozen. It also helps circulate flow inside to push food out on its own depending on where it's located in the aquarium.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Tig_Tech

Tig_Tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnet on the outside could be anything like an old mag float, or powerhead magnet since they are pretty strong. Of course glue some felt onto it if it doesn't have it already to prevent scratching of the glass.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Tig_Tech

Tig_Tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished product! When you use the thin baster to prime the device, the Copperband will notice food coming out and will soon learn to start picking food out. Every time I thrown it in the tank it only took a day for him to know food is in there. The flow in the tank alone will soon slowly dispersing the food. Good luck! image.jpeg

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a killer idea. Are the magnets somehow sealed off so they don't rust out? Or is that a rust resistant magnet? If I ever try a CBB again, I'll be doing this for sure.

OP
OP
Tig_Tech

Tig_Tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With enough superglue gel, I was able to seal the magnet in. Plus it only stays in the tank for 30 minutes or less so there's no time for any significant rust to form.

Goldenvue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two different tanks of course and my advice is pe mysis three times a day mine are like puppy's when I walk up to the glass.

OP
OP
Tig_Tech

Tig_Tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two different tanks of course and my advice is pe mysis three times a day mine are like puppy's when I walk up to the glass.

I have aggressive feeders along with my CB and he has a lot of trouble competing with them. This device gives the CB an advantage while the other fish are still able to feed off anything the CB pulls out or what comes out on its own.

favites

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how it works--glad there are hobbyists that can think outside the box (or pVC :>)

Mark

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for a good thread!

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine about 3 weeks. So far mine is only eating blackworms with any gusto. Luckily found one Petland aquarium specialty store that gets them every week. Occasionally I'll see him peck at the rock but that's it. Doesn't touch mysis, LRS, Rods, frozen brine, or the Hikari frozen half shell clams. I haven't tried fresh clams yet.

He's only with a small Picasso clown and female fairy wrasse so little food
competition other than the hermits go straight for the clam half shells.

What food are you putting in the device?

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine about 3 weeks. So far mine is only eating blackworms with any gusto. Luckily found one Petland aquarium specialty store that gets them every week. Occasionally I'll see him peck at the rock but that's it. Doesn't touch mysis, LRS, Rods, frozen brine, or the Hikari frozen half shell clams. I haven't tried fresh clams yet.

He's only with a small Picasso clown and female fairy wrasse so little food
competition other than the hermits go straight for the clam half shells.

What food are you putting in the device?

Did you try lrs fish frenzy? Mine goes nuts for it.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea! It amazes how there are so many simple "fixes" like this one that nobody ever thinks about. Thanks for thinking it up and sharing.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you recommend leaving the device in the tank if there was still uneaten food still in it? I got a copperband yesterday and made a similar device this morning and filled it with lrs fish Frenzy. I witnessed him nibble at it which is a good sign but there is still an eaten food in it. I want to leave it in the tank long enough for him to get a chance to eat or check it out at least but I don't want the food to rot in my tank.

Back