Coppersafe with Pipefish?

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm under the assumption that most common aquarium meds are safe with pipefish and their relatives, but what about copper? I specifically use Coppersafe, and I feel like in the past I had used it with black and white banded pipes, but I'm just trying to double check.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts/experience @Jay Hemdal
I try not to use copper on seahorses and pipefish, but amine-chelated coppersafe would be o.k. if needed to control some protozoan. Trouble is, these small tropical pipefish just don’t do well in bare quarantine tanks even without copper.
I’ve had my best luck with these by giving them an observational quarantine in my coral frag systems.
Jay

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to use copper on seahorses and pipefish, but amine-chelated coppersafe would be o.k. if needed to control some protozoan. Trouble is, these small tropical pipefish just don’t do well in bare quarantine tanks even without copper.
I’ve had my best luck with these by giving them an observational quarantine in my coral frag systems.
Jay
It's more of a preventative, as they're sharing a qt with a moorish idol and some other small fish. I'm not familiar with how prone pipes are to carrying ich, however, but I tend to be overly cautious with diseases.

Am I correct in remembering that the standard dose of Coppersafe on the bottle doesn't amount to a high concentration? Somewhere around 1.8-2.0?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more of a preventative, as they're sharing a qt with a moorish idol and some other small fish. I'm not familiar with how prone pipes are to carrying ich, however, but I tend to be overly cautious with diseases.

Am I correct in remembering that the standard dose of Coppersafe on the bottle doesn't amount to a high concentration? Somewhere around 1.8-2.0?
I ran some testing using my best lab technique (volumetric flasks and a micropipette) and got an average dose of 2.25 ppm for Coppersafe when dosed to the label instructions.

I use 2.5 ppm for active infections.

Copper Power used to be dosed at around 2 ppm, but I think they upped the dose.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back