Coppersafe

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 gallon quarantine tank how many ounces will I need to keep treatment up for 30 days. Approximately please. I can get it tomorrow from Amazon.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You will want to get copper test kit to verify level such as Hanna brand
There is useable gallons and drops can be of risk
General rule is one teaspoon per 4.5 gallons

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 gallon quarantine tank how many ounces will I need to keep treatment up for 30 days. Approximately please. I can get it tomorrow from Amazon.

You need to dose that tank by the net water volume, not the "15 gallon" rated capacity. The way you do this is measure the inside of the tank, front to back and end to end in inches. Then you measure the depth of the water in inches. Presuming the tank does not have a lot of rocks in it displacing more water (it shouldn't being as its a quarantine tank), you multiple those three numbers and divide by 231. You will likely find that the tank holds around 13.5 gallons of water. You would then dose for that.

The normal coppersafe dose for 2.25 ppm is 5 ml per 4 gallons. Don't use a teaspoon for small volumes, you need to use a more accurate pipette or a syringe.

To do the math, take the net volume of water and divide that by 4. then multiply that number by 5. that will be the number of milliliters of coppersafe to add.

As an example - 13.5 gallons / 4 = 3.375. Multiply that by 5 ml and you get 16.9 ml of coppersafe to add.

As @vetteguy53081 said, it is better to use a Hanna test to confirm the dose, but if you are really accurate in this process, you can get close enough to treat fish without testing.....

Jay

OP
OP
Richards Aquarium

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. But you would need something to measure as I'm sure more medication will need to be added as time goes on correct ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. But you would need something to measure as I'm sure more medication will need to be added as time goes on correct ?

Coppersafe is pretty stable in solution. I have dosed it once and let it go for a full 30 days treatment without testing and still got pretty good results. Still, a Hanna tester is the best way to confirm a proper dose.

Jay

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back