Coral Acclimation question

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 12 coral being delivered in about an hour - I’ve never added this many coral at the same time so I had a couple questions ...

When I drop acclimate them, do they all have to stay in Seperate containers or can some be combined ?

Do you really have to drip corals when they are shipped ? I never have but I’ve also never ordered online - so I’m used to an hour drive from my LFS .

tha

Last edited:

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
open them up. Dip them in your choice of coral dip to remove any hitchhikers rinse off well with fresh saltwater. into the tank they go. Dont waste your time drip acclimating anything. I have never done anything but open a bag and dip them and into my tank.

OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only ever floated them for 10-15 mins, then dipped them and then put them in the tank.
The place I am getting them from just had the drip part in there so I was a little thrown off

VJC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't drip acclimate mine either although I do check my parameters to make sure they are close at least to the seller's. I usually float them for a few minutes to temp adjust and I do brush the plug with hydrogen peroxide to get rid of any nuisance hitchhikers before putting them in my coral qt tank. I'll dip depending on the source or just observe in my qt.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the steps I take when introducing corals. I want the greatest success and don’t like leaving things to chance. I mean in truth if you read enough Hitchhiker/QT threads on here it’ll say why you want to acclimate, dip and QT. If QT isn’t an option I’d at least do this as the min:

Float 15-30 mins to temp acclimate drip tank water and monitor.

Dip corals for 5-10mins using Coral RX or the like. Monitor for pests. This doesn’t protect you from Aptasia or vermited snails... you’ll want to inspect the piece for that.
Clean rocks (w/brush) or remove the plugs in this process, Hitchhikers like aptasia like to attach themselves to the plug... if you can take it off do it.

Add new corals to tank, I like leaving them on a frag rack to monitor them for a few days... also to see if flatWorms or any other crawlers have gotten into the tank.

These steps have kept both of my tanks pest free and I’ve seen all of the major pests. It’s easier to take care of them up front verses removing things from your tank.

Send us a picture let’s see some of these new corals!

OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the steps I take when introducing corals. I want the greatest success and don’t like leaving things to chance. I mean in truth if you read enough Hitchhiker/QT threads on here it’ll say why you want to acclimate, dip and QT. If QT isn’t an option I’d at least do this as the min:

Float 15-30 mins to temp acclimate drip tank water and monitor.

Dip corals for 5-10mins using Coral RX or the like. Monitor for pests. This doesn’t protect you from Aptasia or vermited snails... you’ll want to inspect the piece for that.

Clean or remove the plug in this process, Hitchhikers like aptasia like to attach themselves to the plug... if you can take it off.

Add new corals to tank, I like leaving them on a frag rack to monitor them for a few days... also to see if flatWorms or any other crawlers have gotten into the tank.

These steps have kept both of my tanks pest free and I’ve seen all of the major pests. It’s easier to take care of them up front verses removing things from your tank.
That’s exactly what I have always done as well. The only difference is that I use revive.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I have always done as well. The only difference is that I use revive.
I just try and avoid all the horror stories that people post about hitchhikers and “why is my coral dying”... as my momma told me “better safe than sorry”. Lol

OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got here

E6EFC4CD-DCC1-43D9-9F81-1CBB63D4DD1D.jpeg DECB2AEB-6A88-48D5-BD30-F09C804D9EA3.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back