Coral additives ? (AcroPower) ETC......

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a guy that has never fed his corals, I've heard to feed our corals products like Julian's AcroPower.

What food's and chemicals products do you like and,..... ....why ?
What company's do you trust ?

Although if used according to the instructions, do they add excess nutrients for bad algae growth (hair, cynobacteria etc) ?

Please add any comments, advice, links and photo's.
Thank you,
Kevin

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I feed Acro power. I am unable to prove results, but have seen some cyano when dosing their recommended dosage. So I dose half recommended currently.

I will continue to dose it and may try to discontinue when I run out to see if there is any change.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the only coral feed you use ?

Your test will be highly anticipated and curious.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, any additive that contains vitamins and/or amino acids will contribute nitrogen/nitrate to the system.

While I do not use any of these sorts of products, I think that amino acids can be quite useful, most especially in ULNS systems where the zoox may not be generting as much nutrition as it otherwise would for the coral. :)

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is something to keep in mind for sure. I have a large skimmer, small bioload and auto water change system, so I don't see a build up in nitrates like a tank that is heavier stocked or doesn't see water changes as frequently.

I would start at half dose though, as I was ignoring the tank and caused a huge cyano when dosing the full recommended dose.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not feed my corals they get all they need from feeding the fish. You have to be very careful when adding aminos and such or you will incur nuisance algae. As Randy stated if you are not doing a ulns you don't need to add anything. Water changes with a good salt mix will should provide everything you need.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultra low nutrient system.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few Ultra Low Nutrient Systems out there, ZEOvit is the well known IMO from all.
Most ZEO users have good results as I'm too.
Now ZEO isn't the secret to have a awesome tank, there are many cool awesome systems out there that never heard or seen ZEOvit.
Just do your homework and start with the basics and advanced from there if you think it's the next step.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using full ZEO on my system.

AVAST Marine Works - Vibe - Product Details using the 4L model
ZEOvit media for tumbler.
ZEObak, Start, Food, Zym, B-Balance, Coral Booster, Flatworm Stop, K-Balance, Cyanoclean, Coral Vitalizer and Amino Acids.
All this is worked into a personal dosing schedule that fit the system and the coral needs based on what nutrients are lacking after testing.

Btw, a nice read about AP aka Coral Crack, https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/general-sps-discussion/142538-power-up-your-acropora-corals.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a lot of good reading & thanks for the links.

Under your quote, "Exercise Daily.................Walk with the Lord" ! (I also believe) ! :hail:
Are these you tanks or a friends ?

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First two is my new setup.
Due to a hiccup I broke down my two year old SPS tank as you can see in the last 3 pics.
At that time I was running 5 Radions Pro, now for the last 10 weeks running T5's.

Attachments

• 176.jpg
    176.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 465
  • 175.jpg
    175.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 462
  • Diesel 202 tank 033.jpg
    Diesel 202 tank 033.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 383
  • Diesel 202 tank 026.jpg
    Diesel 202 tank 026.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 473
  • diesel tank1.jpg
    diesel tank1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 412

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often hear all coral need is fish poo. That may be true, but it doesn't mean they wont grow much, much faster with feeding. A research article came out this year for coral propagation, they found a huge increase in SPS growth with feeding. Granted it was only one SPS species, but that is still pretty good. They also used fresh seawater, so the control had access to all the nutrients (within reason) that wild coral does and it sill made a huge difference. I hear people argue constantly about what light makes the coral grow any faster... but not many times do they talk about feeding.

Feeding juvenile corals brine shrimp drastically increase their growth ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.8%
Back