Coral and Fish recommendations

cjphi14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm not really sure where to post this. I'm relatively new to reefing but my tank has been established for a year now, and I felt it was time to start adding some more easy corals as I've kept a couple successfully for a few months. I was wondering if anyone had any fish or corals that they recommend. I also lost a few chromis due to aggression so looking to add some different species to the tank instead. Looking for relatively easy stuff but I'd like some larger things particularly fish. My current tank info is:
55 gallon with protein skimmer, live rock, sand
2 ocellaris clowns (1 normal, 1 dark)
2 chromis
2 pajama cardinalfish
1 cleaner shrimp
some snails and hermit crabs too
1 finger leather
zoas
1 favia not totally sure on the name

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd add more soft corals. Toadstool, colt, zoas, and other polyps. If you want more hard corals, other brain corals, acans (micromussa) and duncans are all fairly easy to keep.
Fish are a different story. Larger showy fish, tangs, butterflies, angels are just to big for a 55. An exception would be pygmy angels, but they are hit or miss for their desire to eat corals.
That said, I would try a pygmy angel, coral beauties and cherub angels tend to be the safest. A marine betta would be on my list too. Zebra bar gobies, royal gramma, and starki damselfish would also be on the short list.
I hope this helps.

OP
OP
cjphi14

cjphi14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommendations! That is generally what I was thinking, but I've been looking at wrasses and anthias and they seem to not have the same size requirements for tanks. I know they aren't huge but I have very little fish in there currently. Thanks again for the recommendations it helps a lot.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back