coral banded & cleaner shrimp

frisbike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a coral banded shrimp now that I am not too happy with, he stays hidden all the time. would like to add a skunk cleaner shrimp will it get along ok with the coral banded? in 75g tank

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience coral banded shrimp are mean as heck. I wouldnt risk it, my uncle had one that killed his entire tank and ripped up fish.

OP
OP
F

frisbike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience coral banded shrimp are mean as heck. I wouldnt risk it, my uncle had one that killed his entire tank and ripped up fish.
I have noticed some fish with shredded fins at times and suspected the coral shrimp so I have taken him out which was quite the ordeal out of display tank

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a coral banded shrimp in a 55. When I added a skunk cleaner shrimp, the CBS knew immediately, rushed over and grabbed it before it hit the gravel.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept them together without issue, but I won’t keep coral banded shrimp anymore. It used to go around grabbing the scooter blenny by the tail.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBS are opportunist, if they perceive something as a meal they'll grab it.

Adding new cleaners would be no exception to this rule so you have to add when its already fed. Sleeping/slow/sick fish are also at risk.

I personally avoid other cleaners, CBS are more barbaric cleaners themselves and will get territorial if other types of cleaners enter their 'cleaning station'. They're more fun when you get a mated pair of them and they get really huge so kinda hard to miss them, just can't keep fish they can easily grab.

CKW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBS are opportunist, if they perceive something as a meal they'll grab it.

Adding new cleaners would be no exception to this rule so you have to add when its already fed. Sleeping/slow/sick fish are also at risk.

I personally avoid other cleaners, CBS are more barbaric cleaners themselves and will get territorial if other types of cleaners enter their 'cleaning station'. They're more fun when you get a mated pair of them and they get really huge so kinda hard to miss them, just can't keep fish they can easily grab.
I’ve lost two striped blenny’s and a small cardinal. I strongly suspect the CBS. May have to re-home him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back