Coral Beauty Angelfish - Diagnosis & Treatment?

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I'll try one of the two - General Cure or MetroPlex. Leaning towards GC just in case there are other issues the Prazi in it can help with.

One other note. I have an ocellaris clown and royal gramma basslet in the tank as well (all 3 are being transferred from my old 65 to my new 120g). Thanks,
--Kyle

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not use GC in this situation because nothing about the fish's appearance can be attributed to worms. Unlike flagellates, Intestinal worms remain confined to the GI tract and do not migrate to other parts of the body. If you wanted to add a second medication to the Metroplex it should be Kanaplex. That ABX is readily absorbable by the fish's skin/scales, and would kill any surface bacteria which might be causing (or aggravating) this. Kana + metro is a great combination to try for mystery ailments because you are getting the benefit of an anti-parasitic combined with an anti-bacterial.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not use GC in this situation because nothing about the fish's appearance can be attributed to worms. Unlike flagellates, Intestinal worms remain confined to the GI tract and do not migrate to other parts of the body. If you wanted to add a second medication to the Metroplex it should be Kanaplex. That ABX is readily absorbable by the fish's skin/scales, and would kill any surface bacteria which might be causing (or aggravating) this. Kana + metro is a great combination to try for mystery ailments because you are getting the benefit of an anti-parasitic combined with an anti-bacterial.

Thanks! Metroplex it is. I do have kanaplex as well, so I might add that.

@Humblefish, I also have a thread in your own forum about my new fish going through TTM + H2O2. My pink spotted watchman goby has internal parasites and my Exquisite Wrasse has Ich. As discussed there, I'm going to use General Cure + Focus. Should I consider adding kanaplex to the food for those fish as well? Thanks again,
--Kyle

Khoinpham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I've had my Coral Beauty for about 9 months now (quarantined first with Tank Transfer Method and PraziPro). It's lost some tissue from the front of its face. Mouth at times has almost looks bloody. It's been like this for about 5 months, but hasn't gotten worse over the past several. I just removed it (and my other two fish) and placed them all in a quarantine tank as I plan to treat them and then move them into my newer 120g tank. Thoughts on what this is and how to treat it? HLLE? Bacterial infection? What should I try to treat it? Pictures:

Screenshot_20191222-185928.png

Screenshot_20191222-190201.png

Additional info:
  • Fish were in a 10 year old reef tank running carbon and GFO and rare water changes. Nitrates and Phosphates are at 0.
  • All 3 fish from this tank act fine and eat well. The clown has black marks on it (which I think is some sort of irritation from coral or something), and my Royal Gramma Basslet has some slightly paler tissue, but I don't think it's anything really.
  • There's never been any white spots or anything else visible on any of these fish (the other two I've had for 8 and 10 years). If you see anything in the pics, it's just stuff floating around.
  • I feed LRS, mysis, and Prime Reef Flakes - often using Selcon, garlic, and VitaChem with the frozen foods. So I don't think nutrition is an issue.
  • In the new tank I'm using a small amount of carbon and even smaller amount of GFO. I'm considering removing them though. I have an algae scrubber and skimmer that are removing everything well.
  • Those pics are from 4+ months ago. I'll try to get some newer ones and add, but the fish looks about the same.
Here are a few meds that I happen to have on hand if you think they would be helpful?
Seachem MetroPlex (metronidazole)
Seachem Focus
PraziPro
Formalin MS
Methylene Blue

Thanks for any suggestions!
--Kyle
Look like HLLE. It happens to my gem when in hypo too long, but it better now. I use vitachem, nori, omegaone flake and frozen food soak in selcon and vitachem. I believe supper clean water is more important than all than food. Good luck

2C1450F9-C1A7-4AF7-AC61-B14F1CC6723F.jpeg 74680582-FD3E-41B5-81E0-8F0188BA419C.jpeg

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like HLLE. It happens to my gem when in hypo too long, but it better now. I use vitachem, nori, omegaone flake and frozen food soak in selcon and vitachem. I believe supper clean water is more important than all than food. Good luck

2C1450F9-C1A7-4AF7-AC61-B14F1CC6723F.jpeg 74680582-FD3E-41B5-81E0-8F0188BA419C.jpeg

Wow, that's an amazing recovery in 3 months. Hopefully mine will make the same turn around. My water is really clean with 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate, so I really don't understand why I'm having this issue. Maybe it's the Rox carbon. Thanks,

Kyle

Khoinpham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's an amazing recovery in 3 months. Hopefully mine will make the same turn around. My water is really clean with 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate, so I really don't understand why I'm having this issue. Maybe it's the Rox carbon. Thanks,

Kyle
I know alot people pay too much attention to nitrate&phosphat. It doesn't effect fish that much like coral.. i also believe carbon doesn't cause hlle. But when u have carbon in system, water look crytal clear make u think your water is clean but it’s not. A lot other stuff in water ( tds...) rather than no3 & po3. I use 1g milk container to change 1g water everyday until mine get better. Good luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back