Coral Beauty Damaging Coral

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, all

I just got a new colony of green slimer acro in my 90 gallon tank. I have had a coral beauty in the tank for around 2 months and he immediately started picking at the coral. When the coral beauty picks at the coral though there are no marks left on the coral, the polyps just retract and then eventually come back out.

Should I still be concerned about the coral beauty damaging the coral even if I cannot see any damage with my eyes?

Thank You!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is classified reef safe caution for this very reason

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you guys go ahead and remove the coral beauty from the tank or do you have any suggestions for how to get it to pick less? As is it doesn't pick a whole lot and spends more time picking the rocks then the coral. I was thinking adding some nori sheets might distract him from the coral. If I need to remove him I will, but I'd like to see if there are any other options

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral beauty only picks at algae, not my corals. I've had one for a few months now and no issues at all with it picking at corals. If he isn't even leaving a mark on the coral, then I wouldn't worry about it. He's probably just picking at algae, not the coral too.

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is classified reef safe caution for this very reason

For those of you who said the coral beauty is still doing damage could you elaborate. Is there anything specifically I could look for to see if permanent damage is being done? I have read some threads that said if the polyps were staying permanently closed then that is when you need to worry

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the coral is a small frag it will most likely die from the constant picking. If it is a big colony it has a better chance. Any new frag that I put in the tank, my angels would immediately start nipping and eventually killing it.

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1604358868928.png

The coral is the one pictured here. I got it from a local reefer and it is pretty big so I am hoping it will be able to take the picking

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
For those of you who said the coral beauty is still doing damage could you elaborate. Is there anything specifically I could look for to see if permanent damage is being done? I have read some threads that said if the polyps were staying permanently closed then that is when you need to worry
Obvious bite marks, corals closed up, tissue damage and constant nipping at coral as a fish would do on the glass

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back