Coral Beauty Hammers

jtmoney528

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral beauty picking and eating at 2 of my 4 hammers. It is only picking at the green and gold one and leaving the pink and purple one alone. Is this pretty common that they only pick a color?

I have blastos, Duncan's, zoas, and torches which he leaves alone.

I moved the 2 hammers to my sump which has a refugium Light on it for now.

CB is my wife's favorite fish and was her one fish she had to have lol

OP
OP
J

jtmoney528

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try feeding the tank more or putting sheets of nori in.. I have zero issues with my cb. She loves to fight with the tangs over nori
I put nori in twice a day on 2 separate clips and feed twice a day as well. Mixed pellets with selcom in the morning and a rotation of 4 different frozen foods at night.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just try moving the hammer to a new location temporarily. My CB will nip at new frags I add, especially if they are in his swimming lane. Just moving the frag 6 inches will end the nipping.

OP
OP
J

jtmoney528

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just try moving the hammer to a new location temporarily. My CB will nip at new frags I add, especially if they are in his swimming lane. Just moving the frag 6 inches will end the nipping.
Thank you, I will have to try that! We waited too long on one hammer because we couldn't figure out what was doing it until we saw the CB.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's unlikely to catch em nipping when you're near the tank. A video camera is great tool for reef tank.
Building on what @Troylee mentioned with heavy feeding - I found my CB really likes the hikari spirulina tabs in a clip to nip at. Keeps him busy all day too

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a fish starts picking, they aren’t gonna stop. Distracting with food only works for so long. I’ve had reef safe fish pick at my trachyphyllia, and they continued to pick at the corals even while I fed them to lure them in the trap.

OP
OP
J

jtmoney528

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's unlikely to catch em nipping when you're near the tank. A video camera is great tool for reef tank.
Building on what @Troylee mentioned with heavy feeding - I found my CB really likes the hikari spirulina tabs in a clip to nip at. Keeps him busy all day too
Can you link me those tabs?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a coral beauty picking and eating at 2 of my 4 hammers. It is only picking at the green and gold one and leaving the pink and purple one alone. Is this pretty common that they only pick a color?

I have blastos, Duncan's, zoas, and torches which he leaves alone.

I moved the 2 hammers to my sump which has a refugium Light on it for now.

CB is my wife's favorite fish and was her one fish she had to have lol
The green and gold may have softer polyps as all softies are a risk with coral beauties. There is no substitute for behavior with any foods as foods will be a temporary distraction. You may instead have to sump the coral beauty and feed it there so its focus is on food and not coral and hope for a better outcome upon reintroduction

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a fish starts picking, they aren’t gonna stop. Distracting with food only works for so long. I’ve had reef safe fish pick at my trachyphyllia, and they continued to pick at the corals even while I fed them to lure them in the trap.
This. Your CB now has a taste and like others said you can’t watch/see the tank 24/7 - time to rehome

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back