Coral Beauty not doing well

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! #reefsquad

My fish have been in QT since Feb 14th. All have been doing well until today. They have completed 2 rounds of Cupramine and were on the 2nd round of Prazipro. I've been following Humblefish's QT guide. Just an hour or so ago, I noticed that my Coral Beauty was laying on the bottom of the tank breathing hard. The other fish seem to been breathing harder than normal as well. I went ahead and turned on an airstone and added 50 drops of Cupramine (25g tank and will add 50 more tomorrow). I've attached a video for reference. Should I do a freshwater dip on the Coral Beauty? Its very strange that this is happening after a month & a half in QT. Temp is 78, sg 1.026. Ammonia Badge looks fine.

Last Friday I added carbon after the 1st Prazi dose was completed. I did a 5g water change on Sunday and added the 2nd dose of Prazi.

Last edited:

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You're doing the right thing by upping o2 in the qt tank....
Also up the addition of carbon and no more meds, maybe even do a good water change
Keep lights off and let it rest.
You're coming up on releasing them into your dt soon so best to keep them stress free.

Last edited:

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much surface break do you have in there? Do you have a powerhead that you can put in, up near the surface? Meds can really deplete oxygen, especially when combined. Not saying this is the cause but it's certainly an option worth eliminating. Also I noticed in the video that it looked as though the sailfin was trying to scratch a couple times, was that my imagination or no? Can you go into more detail as to how you did the copper treatment please?

@Humblefish @melypr1985

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is not right. I saw a chromis huffing & puffing as well.

How long did you treat with Cupramine for? And what was the Cu level? I don't understand what "2 rounds of Cupramine" means. :confused:

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fish in the video seem to be breathing pretty hard. What is the reasoning for adding copper again now?

OP
OP
Bronc

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wrong - ran Cupramine for 30 days ( it was .5mg/L then whole time), then did a water change, ran a Poly Filter until then was no measurable Copper, then ran Prazipro for 7 days, did another 25% water change and ran carbon, then started the 2nd dosage.

I'm thinking now that I should run some activated carbon to remove the copper I just added and maybe add some Prime just in case?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking now that I should run some activated carbon to remove the copper I just added and maybe add some Prime just in case?

I would do a large WC, run carbon and then test for ammonia to be sure the badge is accurate.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You're doing the right thing by upping o2 in the qt tank....
Also up the addition of carbon and no more meds, maybe even do a good water change
Keep lights off and let it rest.
You're coming up on releasing them into your dt soon so best to keep them stress free.

I would do a large WC, run carbon and then test for ammonia to be sure the badge is accurate.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never dose cu that fast with an angel fish that's to much to quick! Also did you actually take a cu reading or just go off the amount in drops? I would strong suggest using a dosing syringe and add cu in mls not drops. Is it possible you overdosed the Prazipro? By not measuring

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. I'm just seeing this. Sorry to hear Bronc! I agree.... Large water change, remove copper and double check that ammonia badge.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wrong - ran Cupramine for 30 days ( it was .5mg/L then whole time), then did a water change, ran a Poly Filter until then was no measurable Copper, then ran Prazipro for 7 days, did another 25% water change and ran carbon, then started the 2nd dosage.

I'm thinking now that I should run some activated carbon to remove the copper I just added and maybe add some Prime just in case? Do not add Prime if you have copper in the tank it will kill them all.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back