Coral Beauty Not Eating

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a coral beauty from LFS on Friday, and brought him home, and put it in the QT that has been up for quite a while. Running salinity of 1.025 and Copper of higher 1.0s but not over 2. I read mixed reviews of putting them in copper so that could be it. But, he hasn't eaten and it is now Sunday night, and I have offered him, pellets, and a mix of frozen mysis, and rods four times so far. Not sure if it's just adjusting to the copper or the new environment, or what it may be any input? Also, there are two white spots and the tip top of his dorsal fin don't know if that's just how he looks or if it's ick, hence why I rolled the dice on adding him to QT with copper. Cannot get a picture of him as he hides when I come close to the tank and is a really fast swimmer.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have first hand experience with QT and dwarf angels but it's my understanding as well that they don't do well with copper. If that's true or not I don't know.

I do know they are grazers. They like a lot of mature love rock. Pods and algae growth of various kinds. Some of mine eat pellets, all but one ignore nori, most will usually go for live foods or frozen. ALL graze on the rock and glass and every surface in the tank all day long. I have 5 of them currently including a coral beauty. My coral beauty ignores pellets and nori.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I would drop the copper. if I were to QT and prophylactically treat for what ever reason I would probably look into hypo salinity.

Otherwise, I would treat like a Leopard wrasse or Mandarin. Put into a mature tank.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could give a long list of things mine won't eat after 9 years.
Try brine shrimp, nori, formula one flakes, formula 2 flakes.
2 days not eating won't harm much but you can try all of those.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could give a long list of things mine won't eat after 9 years.
Try brine shrimp, nori, formula one flakes, formula 2 flakes.
2 days not eating won't harm much but you can try all of those.

It's interesting how finicky some of these Angels can be and each is so individual.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's in QT (tbh this term means something different to alot of people) then you have all the time you need. Make sure it's eating and behaving normally and shed the stress of coming home with you before throwing harsh medication at it. Just my thoughts. Wish you the best of luck. Love my CB

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and a couple of my Angels love NLS Algae Max wafers.

But I agree too it's not an emergency yet after just a couple days.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very serious about their grazing habits. May just be getting used to things.
Algae on a clip, piece of live rock or another fish to chase are all good enticements.
That concentration of copper shouldn't cause any issues.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jez, thanks all for the replies so much good information! My father has seen him grab a piece of mysis shrimp twice now ( I have not though...). As for the LFS, I am not sure as they were slammed on black Friday once I got it, I will have to call out and check. As for the fish he loves to check you out once you come up to the tank from his rock, but once he is out he looks great and healthy, just nervous as I killed off almost all of my last livestock with an impulsive addition to my tank. I will try some more foods, and if he doesn't eat by tomorrow I think I will put him in my display with lots of room, and stuff to graze on, and some others to show him that I don't want to kill him, just fatten him up!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back