Coral Beauty source location

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, for those of you who keep Coral Beauties and other Indo-Pacific dwarf angels, have you found a difference in hardiness between different source locations? Where I am (China) it’s not possible to source Captive Bred specimens from Biota, ORA etc. so I’m stuck with wild caught ones, usually Philippines or Indonesia. Since the fish from these parts of the world often have dismal survival rates, should I forego a Coral Beauty (or maybe a Rusty) altogether and get a non-Indo Pacific species like a Flameback?

I asked a similar question on a Taiwanese forum and a number of Taiwanese hobbyists have said that their experience with the Coral Beauty and other Indo-Pacific species have often been that they start off healthy but then die mysteriously after a couple of months. Is it that bad? I don’t know their tank sizes / tank conditions.

Last edited:

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had relatively little issue with philippine and indo fish. I think you're over thinking this issue. African collection, with the flameback, is often just as problematic as indo and the Philippines. Find a healthy and good looking specimen, of a species you like, and roll the dice.

Back