Coral beauty white spot

dizzyleopard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a coral beauty added it to my tank that has 2 clowns it spent the first 3 day hiding only coming out to eat now that it’s actually out about going around the rocks I noticed a white spot on it and don’t know if it was the clown fish or if it scraped itself on a rock it’s swimming fine it’s not scratching or anything it’s eating fine I haven’t really seen the clown fish go at it or anything and also is the only white spot on its body the clowns are normal nothing out of the ordinary

IMG_2864.jpeg IMG_2865.jpeg IMG_2866.jpeg IMG_2942.png IMG_2945.png IMG_2943.png IMG_2944.png IMG_2946.png IMG_2947.png IMG_2948.png IMG_2949.png IMG_2950.png IMG_2951.png IMG_2952.png IMG_2953.png IMG_2955.png IMG_2956.png IMG_2957.png IMG_2954.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you send a picture - under normal (white light)
Did you QT the fish?
I think a picture would be very helpful - plus I want to see a coral beauty:)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a coral beauty added it to my tank that has 2 clowns it spent the first 3 day hiding only coming out to eat now that it’s actually out about going around the rocks I noticed a white spot on it and don’t know if it was the clown fish or if it scraped itself on a rock it’s swimming fine it’s not scratching or anything it’s eating fine I haven’t really seen the clown fish go at it or anything and also is the only white spot on its body the clowns are normal nothing out of the ordinary
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

+1 on a clear picture helping us.
A short video can also help.

Jay

OP
OP
D

dizzyleopard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking but was not sure cause I haven’t seen anything messing with him and he gets along with the 2 clowns very well thanks for confirming I’ll keep an eye on it tho anyway

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a short video
Sorry - I’ve left to go camping and I can’t get your video to play on my phone, I just didn’t want you to think I was skipping out on you…
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My coral beauty gets this frequently and I suspect sand grain as it sticks to them easily
Check again in later and tomorrow as parasite will move, sand grains will not

BMThunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, new beginner to the group and hobby. I got a Petco Finest Coral Beauty with **** seems like a snow cap on its head. i had him for 3 months in my reef tank (live rock, live sand). i don't want to start 50 different meds or procedures trying to find the answer.

(I apologize to the OP for jumping with my situation and fuzzy pics, but can see the issue)
7737.jpg
7739.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the picture is difficult to interpret (I would say uninterpretable). - However it looks like an injury. Watch for infection, etc. Of course you've see the sticky asking for information that helps the team identify your issue

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, new beginner to the group and hobby. I got a Petco Finest Coral Beauty with **** seems like a snow cap on its head. i had him for 3 months in my reef tank (live rock, live sand). i don't want to start 50 different meds or procedures trying to find the answer.

(I apologize to the OP for jumping with my situation and fuzzy pics, but can see the issue)
7737.jpg
7739.jpg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry, the pictures just are not clear enough to see.

It could be an injury, but since it is showing on both sides of the fish, it could also be from head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE). An injury typically shows up suddenly, while HLLE grows in size over time.

Jay

BMThunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry, the pictures just are not clear enough to see.

It could be an injury, but since it is showing on both sides of the fish, it could also be from head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE). An injury typically shows up suddenly, while HLLE grows in size over time.

Jay
Thanks. i'll try to get better pics for you guys/gals. he wont be still long enough for my phone camera...LOL

BMThunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, my (old) android can't do any better with the pics.

Tank:

40 gal Tall (condo asso. will not let have above 50 gal) FYI: I'm looking for a hardy tank.
Fighting green hair algae on rocks (and everywhere else). Diatoms and brown in my live sand (which i just vacuumed 2 weeks ago:confounded-face:). i know, it's a mess.

Filter:

MarineLand Penguin 200 Power Filter, 200GPH (PF0200B),Black ((bio-wheel stopped working after a month:disappointed-face:)​

Lighting:

NICREW Saltwater Aquarium Light, Marine LED Fish Tank Light for Coral Reef Tanks, Programmable Timer Controller, 36 to 48-Inch, 36-Watt​

Heater:

Aquatop Submersible Heater; GH Series

Water:

Imagitarium Pacific Ocean Water​

Approx: 20 lbs Live rock

API Saltwater master Test Kit

Fish (that's sill alive :face-with-hand-over-mouth:)
Purple wrasse
Coral Beauty

inverts
Cleaner Shrimp
Emerald Crab
Feather Duster (CB food, smh)
a few snails (stared with six, now 4)
Cody Anemone (that's lost it's pink base, now bleached)

Food:
Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef, Brine Shrimp (frozen)
API Marine Flakes (everyone loves the flakes)

Cabinet Chemicals:
Reef: Phytoplankton, Zooplankton
Kordon Prevent Ich Natural Inhibitor
Fluval Sea Iodine
Microbe-Lift Nite-Out Starter Bacteria (i shouldn't need this for live sand & pre-mixed water, right)
Prime concentrated conditioner Detox Ammonia, nitrates & nitrite, removes chlorine & chloramine

Seachem MetroPlex Metronidazole Parasite Bacteria SALTWATER FRESHWATER Aquarium

Any Thoughts?:

Fritz Maracyn?​

Fritz ParaCleanse?​

I've done a 25% water change and vacuum 2 weeks ago. i think i stressed the fish because after vacuuming i added 25% water in violently (fast rate). A week later i lost my Sailfish Angel, a week after that i lost my favorite fish Green Mandarin goby:confounded-face: and my latest victim last night (which was a stowaway in a live fork i brought at Petco along with an emerald crab:grimacing-face:), Peppermint shrimp. He just hung on top of my heater.

All show the same signs before death; lethargic, loss of appetite,
Peppermint shrimp.jpg
Peppermint shrimp2.jpg

The white specks are on my tank, smh
CB.jpg
CB1.jpg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are your water parameters today

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%

Back