Coral Bleaching Situation

sillico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of no where about 3 weeks ago, a lot of my corals have started to bleach, all of my acan gardens, my leptos, my plate, and one of my lobos. The only corals doing well are my zoas, mushrooms, and hammers I tested all of my water levels which were fine. I've done 2 water changes over the past 3 weeks and nothing has benefited them. Everything in my system is the same, I haven't made any changes at all that would do something bad to my tank. My lights and everything is fine. I even went to a fish store near me that i go to often and had them test everything and they to told me all of my levels are right where they need to be, my levels were great. Can someone please help me out here & give me some type of suggestions! thanks

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank?
What kind of clean up crew do you keep? (Nudi, large snails, etc)
Has anything disappeared recently?
What kind of lights do you run?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank?

This^. Also could you post a picture of your tank and list your water pramameters?

OP
OP
sillico

sillico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank?
My tank is 8 months old, 65 gallon, got a variety of hermits in there as well as snails; turbos, cerith, nassarius, nerite, astreae. nothing has disappeared, my fish are doing great, surprisingly I've never had any type of algae outbreak in this tank, not even when i first started it. I run Orbit LED's and a coralife T5s. I also have a fire urchin which i've had from the start, never had any problems with in when it comes to my corals. it is great at eating algae.

OP
OP
sillico

sillico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This^. Also could you post a picture of your tank and list your water pramameters?

My tank is 8 months old, 65 gallon, got a variety of hermits in there as well as snails; turbos, cerith, nassarius, nerite, astreae. nothing has disappeared, my fish are doing great, surprisingly I've never had any type of algae outbreak in this tank, not even when i first started it. I run Orbit LED's and a coralife T5s. I also have a fire urchin which i've had from the start, never had any problems with in when it comes to my corals. it is great at eating algae.

to be honest, I don't remember them off the top of my head, my nitrates were a tad high (for me at least) they were around 10. Which confuses me even more because acans do better in a little bit of dirtier water. My calcium, alk, phosphate, etc. are all in the range they're supposed to be

alex77619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is ur nitrate? I ran in to a same situation like u due to my system is ultra low nutrient. My nitrate and phosphate were 0. And no algae ever grow. My refugium die off and all chaeto was dead. I got a super low bio load. And all other sps hammer were great but acan and anemone were bleaching.

Try over feeding and dose reef plus or even nitrate. I been over feeding and dosing stump remover which is a potassium nitrate. Now there are getting the color back.
From this
c25c9958b52be82095e7c5e23a0f519a.jpg

70e83ce98b71271f4c39eeac78e517a6.jpg

5d282341c6f6d42108db79e749e7b22d.jpg

To this
adc5935e2fe2e8feb47f0eb6c8a6732b.jpg
0c26a71ae36f9b31123b2bd73e767c0b.jpg

Also put bleached one to low light or even in refugium and feed them hard if they still eat will help a lot. I feed the acan daily with pellets food sock soft or sometimes mysis shrimp

Check on some articles about ultra low nutrient affecting softy corals

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are numerous things that can cause bleaching.

*Changes in light intensity
*Water pramameters not stable. (Swings in SG, PH, alkalinity. Excessive P04 -N03. Ideal range P04 -.02, N03- 5-10ppm.)
*Temperature swings, high and also low.
*Electrical voltage leaking into the water.
*Contaminants getting into the water. (Anything sprayed, household cleaners, burning candles, liquids...etc)
*Lack of or excessive nutrients.
*Disease
*Pests
*Coral warfare

Last edited:
OP
OP
sillico

sillico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is ur nitrate? I ran in to a same situation like u due to my system is ultra low nutrient. My nitrate and phosphate were 0. And no algae ever grow. My refugium die off and all chaeto was dead. I got a super low bio load. And all other sps hammer were great but acan and anemone were bleaching.

Try over feeding and dose reef plus or even nitrate. I been over feeding and dosing stump remover which is a potassium nitrate. Now there are getting the color back.
From this
c25c9958b52be82095e7c5e23a0f519a.jpg

70e83ce98b71271f4c39eeac78e517a6.jpg

5d282341c6f6d42108db79e749e7b22d.jpg

To this
adc5935e2fe2e8feb47f0eb6c8a6732b.jpg
0c26a71ae36f9b31123b2bd73e767c0b.jpg

Also put bleached one to low light or even in refugium and feed them hard if they still eat will help a lot. I feed the acan daily with pellets food sock soft or sometimes mysis shrimp

Check on some articles about ultra low nutrient affecting softy corals

my nitrates are actually a little high, theyre in between 10-20. this confuses me even more cause acans thrive and do better when the water is a little dirtier. Thanks for all of your advice and help too

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my nitrates are actually a little high, theyre in between 10-20. this confuses me even more cause acans thrive and do better when the water is a little dirtier. Thanks for all of your advice and help too

10-20 ppm is where I run my system.

Look at your equipment as well. Rusting magnets.......etc.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a volt meter and check the water for electricity. I recently had a similar issue in my mixed reef but only acros where showing distress, params all at regular levels, no change in lights or anything else. Checked for current with my voltmeter and voila, had my wife unplug one pump at a time while I held the tester and found the culprit, one of the power heads. Now everything is back to normal. Just something you could try since it’s not something that ever really gets checked.

Fitzty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 or 4 weeks ago I noticed the same thing. All parameters were normal. Just realized last night what my problem was. Temp is spiking above 83-84 usually at night. Have an Apex and wasn’t paying attention anymore. Slow recession on some and then after several night spikes, rapid bleaching.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 or 4 weeks ago I noticed the same thing. All parameters were normal. Just realized last night what my problem was. Temp is spiking above 83-84 usually at night. Have an Apex and wasn’t paying attention anymore. Slow recession on some and then after several night spikes, rapid bleaching.
That’s odd

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back