Coral book recommendations

  • Thread starter Thread starter xzt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

xzt

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 24, 2025
Messages
125
Reaction score
45
Location
china
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a beginner and would like to learn about keeping corals. Are there any authoritative books or literature in this field that I can read?
 
I haven’t purchased any of these but this popped up on Facebook and I saved it because I thought it had potential. Not sure if it’s what you’re looking for though.

https://professorpolyp.com

Otherwise I’d say join a bunch of FB groups, ask questions here on the forum (plus there’s published articles), and look to see if you have a local reefing club.
 
Go to reefs.com, they have in depth articles on many type of corals, also other interesting reef subjects.
 
This question brings together 2 of my favorite things. Corals and books. I think we need more of those for sure. I have one by Anthony Calfo that's good but might be a bit dated by now. Tony Vargas has 2 more recent books out: The Coral Reef Aquarium and The Coral Reef Aquarium Volume II. I haven't read them, but I know he's an expert and I'd bet those are good. @Peace River might know of some other good ones.

I do tend to agree that a lot of the most current info is online. Tidal Gardens has already been mentioned as having great videos worth checking out (I highly recommend them), and BRS is of course another great source for video content on reefkeeping.

I do wish I knew of more great coral-focused books.
 
Some people are looking for books or other information that provides a series of steps or a recipe and others are looking to understand corals in their care on a far deeper level. It may be helpful for you to understand what you are looking for, which will then help you choose a path that is right for you as you learn about corals and how to help them thrive in your care.

An often overlooked book can be found at the following link:
https://www.russellkelley.info/print/indo-pacific-coral-finder/

Much of the information that you need as a beginner can be found online and here on the R2R forum. I also encourage you to review the R2R article section. Several good books have already been mentioned and another that I will add to the list is
“Corals: A Quick Reference Guide” by Julian Sprung. Also read everything you can here (or anywhere else) that is written by @Randy Holmes-Farley and @Jay Hemdal.

One additional thought: focus on becoming a water gardener first and many of the issues with coral and fish will be corrected before they ever happen.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new