Coral Box Backup Battery V2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

I have a couple of quick questions about the Coral Box Backup Battery V2.

1. Will the V2 battery connect to a Varios 2 pump without any additional connectors (i.e. right out of the box)?
2. Can you give me a ballpark projection regarding expected battery runtimes (for a Varios 2)?
3. Is the battery lithium? If not, what type of battery is it?
4. Aside from charge cycles reducing the battery's ability to hold a charge, what's the expected approximate life for the battery?

Thanks

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

I have a couple of quick questions about the Coral Box Backup Battery V2.

1. Will the V2 battery connect to a Varios 2 pump without any additional connectors (i.e. right out of the box)?
2. Can you give me a ballpark projection regarding expected battery runtimes (for a Varios 2)?
3. Is the battery lithium? If not, what type of battery is it?
4. Aside from charge cycles reducing the battery's ability to hold a charge, what's the expected approximate life for the battery?

Thanks

Hey Rick,

1: From looking at the photos, I would say yes. It has the same power supply type as the coral box dca pumps.

2: That's a DCA3,000 equivalent. So about 1.5 hours total.

3: Yes, it is lithium rechargeable.

4: The batteries can last for quite a few years. They won't be fully drained often and are trickle charged. The battery does not supply the pump with power when the AC power is on. So it's not using many duty cycles in regular use.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The V2 has been out about a year, I have yet to hear any reports of the V1 having diminished run time after years of use.

OP
OP
R

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The V2 has been out about a year, I have yet to hear any reports of the V1 having diminished run time after years of use.

I appreciate the information.

One more question. If I connected the battery to a Tunze 6125, what do you think the estimated run time would be?

I take it I'd need to utilize Tunze's battery connector, right?

OP
OP
R

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for the multiple posts. I run the Varios 2 at the lowest setting (i.e. 1 out of 5). Do you think I could get a couple more hours out of the battery (beyond 1.5 hours)?

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for the multiple posts. I run the Varios 2 at the lowest setting (i.e. 1 out of 5). Do you think I could get a couple more hours out of the battery (beyond 1.5 hours)?
Definitely. I tested my DCA2,000 at full power.

As for the tunze, I am unsure. As long as it has the same barrel jack plug size, it should work on any DC pump 12-24V

OP
OP
R

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome.

I'm unspeakably irritated with the non-lithium batteries I've owned which I purchased from one of your competitors (one of which failed very early into ownership), so I'm pleased to hear that your battery is lithium-based. I'll purchase one and give it a try.

ELL23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s mine connected to my icecap 1k gyre

F4BF48EF-368D-4712-B0FC-82340967EBCF.jpeg

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow i didnt know this existed! It works with varios returns and ecotech vortechs?

ELL23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow i didnt know this existed! It works with varios returns and ecotech vortechs?
I bought it from reefbreeders and the description says it is compatible. See link below for compatible devices.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rick,

1: From looking at the photos, I would say yes. It has the same power supply type as the coral box dca pumps.

2: That's a DCA3,000 equivalent. So about 1.5 hours total.

3: Yes, it is lithium rechargeable.

4: The batteries can last for quite a few years. They won't be fully drained often and are trickle charged. The battery does not supply the pump with power when the AC power is on. So it's not using many duty cycles in regular use.
Correction- they are sealed lead-acid rechargeable batteries. 2 x 12v, 2.2Ah cells for a total of 24v, 4.4 amp hours. I just received updated information from the factory on this.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know these existed! I see they are compatible with MP40's and the vectra return pump? Can you connect more than one device to the standard unit? For example, I could run one mp40 and my Vectra m1 off this device? How long would it last in such a situation?

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know these existed! I see they are compatible with MP40's and the vectra return pump? Can you connect more than one device to the standard unit? For example, I could run one mp40 and my Vectra m1 off this device? How long would it last in such a situation?
They should work- though personally I have not tested, the factory assured me most 12v and 24v DC pumps will work with these, provided the power supply uses the same barrel jack connector. You can run multiple pumps, but I would not recommend doing so on larger pumps like the MP40 and M1 vectra. Run time will be pretty short with that much draw. I would recommend using it for just one of the MP40s to get some water movement in the tank if power is out.

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I'm going to buy this battery too.
I have 4 pumps in my tank, 2 Tunze 6055 and 2 Vorteck MP-10.
I use a regular UPS for a computer as a backup battery. Enough for half an hour of work.
Electricity outages are usually short-lived, but recently, due to planned works in our area, the electricity was cut for 8 hours. I had to arrive early from work and after the backup battery was discharged, I had to manually stir the water in the tank with a rigid plastic tube every 10-15 minutes.
Have you laughed? I myself still laugh.
So I decided to buy this battery. In your opinion and experience, how long will it support one MP-10 and two?
Thank you in advance.
Nick

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I'm going to buy this battery too.
I have 4 pumps in my tank, 2 Tunze 6055 and 2 Vorteck MP-10.
I use a regular UPS for a computer as a backup battery. Enough for half an hour of work.
Electricity outages are usually short-lived, but recently, due to planned works in our area, the electricity was cut for 8 hours. I had to arrive early from work and after the backup battery was discharged, I had to manually stir the water in the tank with a rigid plastic tube every 10-15 minutes.
Have you laughed? I myself still laugh.
So I decided to buy this battery. In your opinion and experience, how long will it support one MP-10 and two?
Thank you in advance.
Nick
Hey Nick, the MP-10 has a power draw similar the the QP-5+, so it should support one pump up to 24 hours, depending on how high you run it. 2 pumps would cut that in half.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction- they are sealed lead-acid rechargeable batteries. 2 x 12v, 2.2Ah cells for a total of 24v, 4.4 amp hours. I just received updated information from the factory on this.
It would be really nice to see a v3 with a lithium or even p04 battery, and ditch the lead acid. Sealed or not I don’t like lead acid batteries in the house. Plus, it’s easier to swallow the high price with a decent battery in the little box.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back