Coral box DC pump DCA 6000

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I purchased this pump for my tank and I was wondering if it is possible to hard plumb the return? Two can it be ran external? Thanks

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I purchased this pump for my tank and I was wondering if it is possible to hard plumb the return? Two can it be ran external? Thanks

It is, they can be used both internally and externally. The threads on the pump housing are metric, I have seen some local stores fit standard threaded PVC to them though. However I don't know if I can vouch for that method 100%, as proper care needs to be taken not to strip the threads on the pump housing.

The more tried and true method is to use a short length of vinyl tubing from the pump to an adapter. This does 2 things- 1) your pump can be quickly and easily disconnected for cleaning. 2) the length of vinyl tubing will absorb vibration, making your system all the more silent.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for getting back to me, I do not think that a vertical run of tubing will work, the weight of the piping above will then push down on the pump. When you say the threads are metric I know that there are metric adapters for Red Sea tanks are available, question about the threads say the type that we use in the US there is piping threads and then there is the threads that a hose will tighten too.

So are the threads the water hose type, or plumbing type, sorry I do not know the correct terms.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for getting back to me, I do not think that a vertical run of tubing will work, the weight of the piping above will then push down on the pump. When you say the threads are metric I know that there are metric adapters for Red Sea tanks are available, question about the threads say the type that we use in the US there is piping threads and then there is the threads that a hose will tighten too.

So are the threads the water hose type, or plumbing type, sorry I do not know the correct terms.

You should not allow the full weight of the pipes to rest on your pump, whether it's hard plumbed or not. That goes for every pump- you need to support your PVC with straps etc. as not doing so opens you up to leaks from pinch points like bulkheads and other connections.

So these come with connectors that work with standard and metric vinyl, as they are similar in size (see photo). You can use a thread adapter on these to convert them to standard sizes. Let me get in touch with the factory and get the exact dimensions of the threads for you.

Screen-Shot-2018-11-23-at-9.43.01-AM.png

cmantis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use standard fpt x slip adapter believe its 1.25"

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will look into that, we have a great hardware store that has most everything, I will bring the pump there. I had another DC return pump and I got a fitting to work but they were not similar pipe threads, lots of pipe dope and few more turns.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I got it running on my 120 gallon tank, it is a perfect match for my slow water turn over, my wife is not complaining about the noise of this tank anymore, she now hears the QT air sponge is too loud LOL I have my valve fulling open and the pump on top speed, very quiet. Thanks again

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this be used as an external pump (indoors) for a saltwater mixing station?
Yes, I have seen them used that way before. Just like with other external use applications, make sure to run a short length of vinyl to the inlet and outlet before converting to hard plumbing. This alleviates stress on the front housing.

Back