Coral Choices

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. 15 years ago was my last attempt at a reef tank. 90G with 20G long sump and Tek lighting (48" x8 t5 bulbs), a 2 inch sand bed and 145# of live rock. I believe I ran at 14K on the average with lighting. This next tank will be 110G give or take. My question has to do with coral choices. I'm embarrassed to say that back in the day I just put coral in the tank regardless of what they were and how they were to be cared for. They all lived and some thrived. But I'm not sure if that's because it really matters WHAT one puts in or if I just got lucky. I'm doing it right this time. Thoughts?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. Years ago. Worked, but not well.
Today, I test everything weekly, maintain the common levels employed by many reefers in a mixed environment.

I’ve found that some stuff has a reasonably predictable shorter life span so anything that dies, is never replaced.

For some reason, I cannot keep trachies, elegance, plates or Acans, or Scollies for more than a year, they look great then, just shrink to nothing.

In the same environment, sticks, torches, Duncan’s, clams, monti cap, hammers, frogs, Gorgonians got nuts.

So, back to your post. Maybe in some cases you’re doing nothing wrong at all.

I stick with works in my system and leave else to the LFS.

That collection may be different from reefer to reefer.

Good luck, know your waters inside and out, chemistry DOES matter and environmental stability is KING.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many factors to consider. First and foremost, I'd take some time and look at various vendors to see what kinds of coral catches your eye. Then delve into the needs for that type of coral and how much time and money you want to invest in the hobby and go from there. Generally, softies are the easiest followed by LPS then SPS.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back