Coral Color

  • Thread starter Thread starter PeaBrain
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

PeaBrain

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 26, 2020
Messages
276
Reaction score
530
Location
Columbus
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if the colorful visual appeal that corals display actually serve a purpose with their survival. Like flowers display color to attract insects and ultimately reproduce.

Or is it just a random side effect that we appreciate?
 
Well, if you were to observe corals in the wild, they would all looked bleached to a reefers eye, due to how the light in the ocean works. It's really a human made thing their colors from our intense blue lights.
 
Great question! I have absolutely no idea! As a long time diver, I've seen some really amazing colors and displays in coals and anemone's. I'd love to know if there's a reason why (other than coral vanity). Anybody got any knowledge on this?
 
I’m also interested to know if there is any particular reason for coloration.
 
I'm reading that the color serves as a sort of sunscreen. Pretty interesting. Still interested in why some are blue, green, yellow, red, etc.
 
This is fascinating.

From 90's reefer's post above.

"The resulting increased light intensities in the new parts of the coral represent a potential danger for the algal cells that need to colonise these areas. Hence, it seems the corals use a clever trick to help their symbionts. The higher light intensity switches on the genes that are responsible for the production of the sun-screening pigments."
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new