Coral Coloration: What do you do?

Cole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to open a discussion and hear peoples ideas on what they do to increase coloration, specifically in sps and high end acros. I know ULN tanks with high intensity lighting seem to be the favorite because it works on the principle of reducing the zooxanthellae in the coral but I find that that causes weak and bland coloration of the coral but it has been the default for a while for many reefers because weak color looks better than tan/brown. The single best thing I have done is create a very special amino acid blend with added vitamins and I have added directly to the water for the coral to directly absorb. The almost immediate color Enhancement I received was so dramatic even my blind old dog could see the difference. Unfortunately I do not have before and after pictures because I had honestly no faith in my experiment at the beginning. This is very different than the washed out color I see in so many tanks that are running ULN that reefers are spending so much time and energy trying to achieve. So tell me, what do you guys do for color?

Ps I will not be sharing my vitamin and amino acid formula because at this rate of success I plan on making and manufacturing a product to sell to other reefers to help them achieve the simple success that I have been getting.

OP
OP
C

Cole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I sure am not good at taking pictures of my beautiful critters. The acro garden is able to be viewed from 360 degrees by the design of a tank in the center of my fish gallery. However this is what my phones camera was able to pick up. 2 are with orange filter under stronger actinic lighting and the last is just regular camera with my normal cool lighting. The real problem with these pictures is like I said I have no before and after pictures for you all to compare and see the color shift that I was able to see so clearly in just a few weeks. The bases of the coral have been coloring up very nicely and I have started to see a slower color increase on the sticks themselves.
20180613_001412.jpeg
20180613_001332.jpeg
20180613_001304.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Cole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing every night, color looks good in the pics
Not nightly no I'm afraid to overdose on the vitamin side because vitamin poisoning is quite real especially in osmoregulatory-like organisms like coral. Right now I do it weekly or twice a week along with my phyto and heavy coral feeding.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 53 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 52 24.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back